New product research. I need your advice and opinions please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michnus

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
As usual I am busy looking and developing new really useful and high quality products for our range. This one has been coming for a while and we are at final stages before manufacturing.

Thing is, I would want to try and gauge whether it would at least be something other travellers would use and what your thoughts would be around something like this.

We got the idea from two other round the world travellers with one bike. They have been using a cast iron pan which weight was around 5kg. But this thing worked like magic. When we met up with them, we cooked fish, eggs, stews and that on an alcohol stove!

I started with all sorts of metals and thicknesses, and eventually got to a 30cm DIA with a 2cm lip and 3mm thickness aluminium.
It was the perfect thickness to allow the plate to quickly heat up and spread the heat and retain heat even when the heat source was off. But yes being SA, I still struggle my ass off trying to get a company that would do the non stick coating at a decent price. We really try to keep production of most of our products in SA, but many manufacturing companies in SA are at best not very business friendly, they demand their pound meat plus mine.

We took a sample with on our last trip through Sudan and Egypt and we did not once used the other pots we had. Most camping pots are of very thin gauge alu plate, which always have you burn food. It is also very difficult to simmer food on the normal cook sets you buy. With this plate it's as easy as pie and it's easy to clean.

Add to that a non stick coating and a Billy grip with a bag and you have 300gram pan that will cook from eggs to steaks and whatever other gourmet meals you like to cook.  

We could easily cooked 6 eggs at a time in the pan.

Attachments

• hobo plate.jpg
    hobo plate.jpg
    34.7 KB
  • Jiko Multi fuel stove hobo plate.jpg
    Jiko Multi fuel stove hobo plate.jpg
    36 KB
  • hobo plate sudan.jpg
    hobo plate sudan.jpg
    54.7 KB
  • hobo plate sudan1.jpg
    hobo plate sudan1.jpg