Newbie does MX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splash

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Enduro
I think I should mention my Sunday started off by having to change a flat tyre on my car. I guess you are thinking that he should have just gone back to bed. In hindsight that may not have been a bad idea, little did I know that it would not be that long until I crawled back into bed again anyway. Well, spare fitted, bike loaded and a bumpy ride to Maniax MX in Talton to meet Danny, my 13 year old instructor. I already knew that he was going to whip my ass, but what the hell, I am a mature adult, I can take it. So, eyes popping out of my head as I saw towering mounds of earth in the distance â?? someone must have a sick sense of humour â?? who is going to ride up those things, but I also knew that I was going to have fun. The little boy was out and was not going to leave. After a little chat, I got to ride around the small track â?? what was this all about â?? corners, sand, jumps and complication after complication. One round was getting to be a long way. At least I got some encouragement â?? I was told I rode smoothly â?? actually, too scared to open up. Anyway, we were to do corners, and corners I did, and did and did. Danny kept it simple, had a surprising good grip for his age of the level of my limited ability for the comprehension of instructions â?? sit forward, leg out front and elbows up. "Elbows up" was to be the days mantra â?? I just wished by elbows were more accommodating. The corners got easier and then the new instruction was too look through the corner â?? then I was flying â?? what corner and I was through? After several rests, for my benefit, but also so Danny could do a little riding. I think if he went higher he would need a pilots licence. I made as if I did not notice anything of his daring displays â?? I was humbled enough. Then it was time for figures-of-eight. Well, I think I must have said something but I now apologies and hope I do not do it again. The morning was nearly done and before lunch it was my turn to ride the big track â?? wow, this was it. The sand was thick but I managed to get the bike and myself around the corners and I took the jumps very slowly â?? no time for being a hero â?? there is another corner coming up anyway. Managed a whole three laps of around 1.8 kilometres each. After another break, things got a little more complicated. I think my level of confidence exceeded my riding ability somewhat because my perfect corners became very embarrassing scenes of mayhem â?? a little slip and fall here and another there â?? I kept telling myself that I am learning â?? but at what price! A little slip on a jump â?? I am certain now that one cannot change direction halfway through a jump. I have also figured out that one cannot take a corner before the corner (sounds obvious now). Lunch was a braai and I was promised that after some more figures-of-eight, we would get to play a little. So I did my eights and off we where, up the sides of jumps, down banks, riding just everywhere â?? what a blast. Unfortunately, my luck was running a little low and I managed as I guess I have become a pro at, falling over at a stand still. I though I could stop my bike on a slippery bank, hard surface with loose stones. In a terrible split second one knows one has made a major stuff up (to be polite). The back tyre started to slip â?? a little at first but enough to cause an instant panic and a death grip of the front brake. My mind said you have to be on the back brake, my instinct said I am not letting go of anything. Well, the back of the bike whipped around and basically smashed be me into the ground â?? well that was it. Ego hurt more than anything, I headed back receiving at least a measure of sympathy and the benefit of having my bike loaded for me. It was a challenging day and I was definitely outside my riding ability and have paid a price, but worth it. I must still see if Danny will have me back? I headed straight back home (ever tried drive a car not been able to change gears?) and after a short while could think of nothing else but of a nice safe bed, so off to bed I went. At least the following morning I could lift my toothbrush into my mouth. I can only hope that things will start to get better now.

This is Danny, who I aspire to ride like! Well, maybe. Unfortunately, not long after this pic he fell and did his knee no favour. Hope he is back in the saddle soon.

Attachments

• Danny.jpg
    Danny.jpg
    81.9 KB
Newbie does MX looks better than Debbie does Dallas...
:imaposer:

Me finishing my first race, barely - Enduro World Cross Country Four outside Parys.

Attachments

• enduro race 21 51.JPG
    enduro race 21 51.JPG
    138.6 KB
  • enduro race.JPG
    enduro race.JPG
    124 KB
well done bru. Looks like a lot of fun. Much learned i recon, show us what u learned next ride.  :thumleft:

Last weekends attempt.

Attachments

• ManiaxAlbert.jpg
    ManiaxAlbert.jpg
    93 KB
Whether its MX or Enduro I think both must be a lot of fun..... :ricky:

Would loooove to try my hand at that.....

Well done I suppose the bug has bitten.... :ricky: >:D,....and you want MORE!!!!!

ENJOY!!!

Nice one Splash.... will contact you to come ride Riverside with me towards the end of the year...... Keep a day open :thumleft:

Jay said:
Nice one Splash.... will contact you to come ride Riverside with me towards the end of the year...... Keep a day open :thumleft:
Cannot wait - just say when.

Splash, EWXC this weekend coming and we must plan a Dog De Wildt day in December.

GO GIRL said:
Whether its MX or Enduro I think both must be a lot of fun..... :ricky:

Would loooove to try my hand at that.....

Well done I suppose the bug has bitten.... :ricky: >:D,....and you want MORE!!!!!

ENJOY!!!

D, Why don't you join me next time at Z7, better than your boet phoning you from there to say howzit to me..... You're gonna love it, 1 000 000 x better thatn gym!!!!

shark_za said:
Splash, EWXC this weekend coming and we must plan a Dog De Wildt day in December.
Doing EWXC this weekend - have riden at Mystic Dolphin before - just madness. I am going to die. Rocks everywhere!
Anytime in December - sounds great to me.