Newbie from PE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JERINOMO

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Greetings from a cold Port Elizabeth,

After following the forum for about 4 months I’ve decided to join wild dogs during May 2010 and now I just want to introduce myself.

I had my bike license since 1983, rode an old BMW 600 and then a BMW R800RT for a while. It’s now about 15years since I’ve last ride but with an urge that has been suppressed for too long and some encouragement from colleges at work I’ve decided it’s time. Even my better half agreed that I should get myself a DS bike.

I had a keen interest in the F800GS, so I went to Continental Cars here in PE and booked myself a test ride on a F800GS. On D-Day I arrived with a borrowed helmet. I was actually very worried if I still can ride so I really had to concentrate when I got on the bike.

Well, I pulled away with the utmost caution not to stall the bike and to my astonishment everything went smooth as if I was riding non-stop for the last thirty years.

I couldn’t wait to get around the corner so that I can start with some fun and games as they gave me an hour for the test ride. Turning right at the first robot on the F800GS (with its brand new Heidenhau 50/50 back tyre) I got the bike sideways and almost saw my …. From there on the ride immediately took on a more calm nature but I could still feel my heart thumping. Took it on the highway and I was very surprised at how fast it got to 180km/hr (Not that I ever have the desire to travel at that speed).

It handled very comfortable through traffic and I was surprised how responsive or may I say edgy it was. After another sideway motion at a stop street, I returned it safely to the garage.

The sales person asked me if I enjoyed it and surely I had to answer YES. He asked me if I would be interested in taking a R1200GS for a test run and before I thought this through, I said yes. Although I’m a big guy, I though the 1200GS is way over the top for me with regards to weight and power. I was pleasantly surprised with the comfort of the ride and easiness of maneuvering through traffic, not sideways once, (maybe I knew I was out of my league), and very enjoyable. On the highway it was a different story. I was not blown of the bike, and it just felt solid.

Between these two bikes, I’ll choose the R1200GS. Nothing wrong with the F800GS, It’s just that I prefer the R1200GS. Currently I’m on the lookout for a second hand, late model GSA. Hopefully before the winter is over I will have my GSA and join the rest of the pack on the road.

Keep up with placing your riding reports as I wait in anticipation for every new report.

Thank you for a great forum.

Latest posts