Nice area for a trip.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skydiver

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-250L
I was in the Thabazimbi area for work related issues this week.

I travelled on a very interesting stretch of gravel road for four days and thought the riding gods  :pot: might appreciate the challenging conditions.
The road surface changes every few kilometers, eg hard gravel, corrugated sections, thick loose sandy sections, mud sections (due to the recent rains) and loose stones at places.

The road has very little traffic because it winds past game farms and according to those in the know, most farmers reside in Gauteng and only visit on weekends. I saw zebra, blesbok, warthog, jackal and impala right next to the fence at some of the farms.

I think this road will be ideal for those who wish to test their riding ability or for those who wish to gain more gravel experience.

For those who wish to google earth the road, the directions are:
From Thabazimbi, take the Lephalale road (R510) but do not turn right at the next turn off to Lephalale. Instead carry on straight towards Cumberland. The gravel road starts about 50 km outside Thabazimbi and the stretch to Cumberland is about 50 km long. The river that forms the border between SA and Botswana is only a few 100 m away. This is where I turned around every day but the locals said one can turn left at Cumberland towards Rooibokkraal, which is 30 km away and from there one can travel towards Dwaalboom to ride some kind of loop.

If anyone has done this trip, please let me know.