Northern Drakensberg Camp Mafefe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Downs  :biggrin:  In the new RSA it is called Serala. Got repremanded by the official at the Surveyor General's office when I ask for the topo map of The Downs. "Eet ees Serala, Cur!, not da downs anymou."

Went down the Penge road a very short little bit (the start of the red line on the posted GoogleEarth picture) then decided, another day perhaps. Time is needed to explore those roads.
The Penge road I believe is done on a regular basis by a group called "The Path Finders". Hectic road that.

AND there are Dolomite. Still need to get to 'Cotra Balorn' (spelling?)

Hi Blue Bull and Grunt

Thanks Grunt, would be nice to see you again and not just at a petrol stop in the Karoo :):)

Blue Bull we have done that route from Mafefe to the Downs but its plastic bike territory or it would have to be a big "Span Poging" helping eachother through :):)

Some nice photies I got from CG. I think these show the terrain well.

Attachments

• DSC01772.jpg
    DSC01772.jpg
    62.8 KB
  • DSC01773.jpg
    DSC01773.jpg
    54.2 KB
  • DSC01774.jpg
    DSC01774.jpg
    54.1 KB
  • DSC01775.jpg
    DSC01775.jpg
    48.3 KB
Nice reports. Thank guys. Now on my to do list.

Mijnher Die Hoofseun moet nie op my skrou nie, ek weet ek is halfdoof maar nogtans praat saggies - h²/hh.  :)

Ek glo nie ek sou daai pad gery het met die LewensGevaarlik, sonder om tenminste 2 of 3 keer neer te geslet het nie.

h²/hh said:
Mijnher Die Hoofseun moet nie op my skrou nie, ek weet ek is halfdoof maar nogtans praat saggies - h²/hh.  :)

Ek glo nie ek sou daai pad gery het met die LewensGevaarlik, sonder om tenminste 2 of 3 keer neer te geslet het nie.

(lees: SAGGIES) Dit is hoekom jy daai lekker "orange" pit bike het om al die lekker dinge te doen.  Noudat ek ook 'n "orange" bike het sal ek ook moet probeer.

h²/hh said:

Sjoe ... i think I'd also prefer to do that one on a 230  :3some:  That must be awesome fun  :mwink:  :thumleft:

h²/hh said:
The Downs  :biggrin:  In the new RSA it is called Serala. Got repremanded by the official at the Surveyor General's office when I ask for the topo map of The Downs. "Eet ees Serala, Cur!, not da downs anymou."

Went down the Penge road a very short little bit (the start of the red line on the posted GoogleEarth picture) then decided, another day perhaps. Time is needed to explore those roads.
The Penge road I believe is done on a regular basis by a group called "The Path Finders". Hectic road that.

AND there are Dolomite. Still need to get to 'Cotra Balorn' (spelling?)

Ja eish. Daardie okie vannie map kantoor weet niks nie. The 1:50,000 map is called "The Downs" en Serala is eintlik oppie andddder kant waar jy het jou bike innie boom gegooi.  :biggrin:  Hy't ook n 1:50 wat "Serala" genoem is.  :bueller:

Ja look that Penge route you must do from the Penge side IMO, because its is pretty steep with lots of switchbacks. If you look at the map "Costra Belhoorn" is somehwere in the same valley that you come up from after crossing the Olifants. Its one of the few caves well described in the Cave register. Also on that route is another old farm filled with Avocado trees. Farmhouse is also just a frame and there are some cattle. We played around there on our 250 Hondas many years ago.

The other route to do that would be good is to go downstream from Penge as far as you can, I got about 6 km in a 4x4 once, but on a bike I think you can get a lot further in a car. Doubt its possible to actually come out near strydom tunnel though.  :eek7:

DPA said:
Hi Blue Bull and Grunt

Thanks Grunt, would be nice to see you again and not just at a petrol stop in the Karoo :):)

Blue Bull we have done that route from Mafefe to the Downs but its plastic bike territory or it would have to be a big "Span Poging" helping eachother through :):)

Yip, its quite a toughee. Being a glutton for punishment I would like to try the latter sometime.

Did that 'road' from Mafefe to Penge September[called Trailor Trash Road-there is an old wrecked trailer about 6KM into the ride ] STEEP,HECTIC,VERY washed away. Went back to Mefefe and did  the loop through Legemelemetsie gate[The Downs] and down the pass[Ori Bara] and around back to the Olifants River and back up to Mafefe.Recomended on 450 and smaller bikes. Pathfinders has done the trip 18 times now AND cant get enough.Yep we ase going back again next year!!!!!!!

Hoofseun said:
h²/hh said:

(lees: SAGGIES) Dit is hoekom jy daai lekker "orange" pit bike het om al die lekker dinge te doen.  Noudat ek ook 'n "orange" bike het sal ek ook moet probeer.
Die cluch-fucttor laat mens uit die berge uit kom, die lewensgevaarlike like berge en klippe biki minder, dus geen discovery helikopters nodig nie, maar die KTM kan ooms blou oge wel gee.

Kwis, hou op kaark roggel, gaan melk die beeste, plant mielies of jag jakkalse. OF is die trekker se battery alweer gesteel?

h²/hh said:
Kwis, hou op kaark roggel, gaan melk die beeste, plant mielies of jag jakkalse. OF is die trekker se battery alweer gesteel?
Batterye weer gesteel!

Looks an absolutely awesome ride there and a must do sometime