Not all fuels (diesel) are created equal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1100L Africa Twin
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, cant find the right words to search for previous discussions relating to this.

So, last week I went up to Sodom en Gemorra (Jhb) to collect a bakkie and drove it back home. I hooked up a trailer and started to make my way down to the Cape. I dropped off the trailer in Victoria Wes and loaded a bike and continued south. When I arrived in Beaufort West I had an average fuel consumption of 11,5km/l. Someone along the way told me to refuel at a very specific garage in B-West, as they had the best price in town (50ppm @ R21/L compared to R23+/L at other places in town). So I filled up and jumped back onto the N1.

For the rest of the day I could not get my consumption to rise above 9,8km/l, I think I got home with an average from B-West of 9,6km/l. My driving did not change for the last part, only the diesel. This is not the first time I had this experience with "cheap" diesel, but I thought it might be worth it as I stopped at a reputable garage - an Engen.

Now I'm wondering, what brand of diesel is the best for fuel consumption, performance and engine life? Or will this end up like the typical engine oil or tyre pressure threads? Lets see...

Latest posts