Not so Off-road Breakfast Run

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bus

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
Hey all

I know this is the Wild Dog forum, but sometimes even Wild Dogs hang up the hiking boots and don some pimping snake skin dancing shoesâ?¦

Like some of you know already, my DRZ got blessed with a pair of these dancing shoes a while ago. Bling bling golden Morad ones with Talon Hubs, to be precise.

So now I have a supermotard version of my bike to spice up the tedious road duties.

So even if this is slightly off topic, Im sharing a breakfast run with you guys that I did a little while ago. All the guys had motards: some DRZâ??s, a KTM 640â??s, a KTM 690, a KTM Duke II, an XT660X and a Husaberg 450â?¦

Im the only one who has brown wings (Stop itâ?¦) so I had my work cut out to stay with these tarmac-only boys. And I didnâ??t do too badly, I must sayâ?¦

Anyways, here goesâ?¦

We all came together at the Waterfront Caltex for some coffee and random shyte-talking:

IMGP1582.jpg

IMGP1583.jpg

IMGP1584.jpg

From there we raced through town, scaring old ladies and children with random wheelies, stoppies and general hooliganism. Went up & down Kloof Rd a couple of times. (The one that turns right on Kloofnek and snakes down to CampsBay High School.) This piece of road is motard heaven, by the wayâ?¦ Just watch out for the bumpsâ?¦

Stopped for some scenic snaps at the top of Clifton

IMGP1586.jpg

IMGP1587.jpg

IMGP1588.jpg

IMGP1589.jpg

Here is the new KTM 690 SM. My mate Alan is the lucky baastidâ?¦ The running joke is that the bike looks like those Spy vs Spy cartoons in the Mad Magazineâ?¦ We call it â??The Beakâ?

IMGP1590.jpg

Some more compulsory retardednessâ?¦ You really cant help but ride like a real poepol on these thingsâ?¦

IMGP1592.jpg

Then burned through Camps Bay Main Rd and onto another great snaking piece of road between Camps Bay & Hout Bay. Had breakfast at Darioâ??s in Hout Bay and took some more snaps of the bikes.

IMGP1593.jpg

IMGP1594.jpg

IMGP1595.jpg

Then we raced up & over Chapmans Peak (scary) and down into Noordhoek.
From there over Ou Kaapse Weg and through Steenberg & up Constantia Main Rd to the big traffic circle.

From there hooked a right and did Rhodes Dr down past Kirstenbosch. (Another very scary section, unless you know it well)

Then De Waal Drive, through Cape Town and on to Link Rd in Montague Gardens to practice some stunting. This is a great deserted stretch of straight road. Just whats needed to hone those hooligan skills

IMGP1596.jpg

IMGP1597.jpg

IMGP1598.jpg

Here I am doing some stoppiesâ?¦ Its amazing how I wish traffic lights to go red as I approach them nowadaysâ?¦ >:D

IMGP1599.jpg

IMGP1600.jpg

There are more pics, but I havenâ??t been able to round them up from the guys, will post up as they become available.

Donâ??t flame me, I still do the off road stuff as well. Its just nice to have the option of changing my bike into a corner carving road weapon when the Dark side callsâ?¦ And it only takes me about 30-40 minutes to do

Cheers
Bus

I recognise you buggers. I came up one day with the 990 SuperDuke next to you guys... remember that? On the West Coast road, going past Sunset Beach I believe

>:D Looked like too much fun  O0

Lekker pics Bus....and don't worry, I'm sure no-one will flame you.

Enjoyed reading your report.

lekker report

an i totally see the spy vs spy thang ....damn true

Hey Lito

Yeah, I remember, Im quite a fan of those Super Dukes. You lucky baastid!!! ;D

Most other superbike riders look down their noses at us, I guess they know they will get their asses handed to them in the tight twisties, haha!!! >:D

I never thought one could have so much fun with a dirt bike on the road. I highly recommend it... The wheels are rather pricey but its like getting a 2nd bike all together.

Im gonna put the cat among the pigeons for all the KLR manne now...

Some guy actually motarded his KLR!!!

Looky here: Also more pics on page 6.

https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148904&page=5

I fink it looks pretty cool...

Nice report, thanks.

Regarding the KLR motard....sorry, but that is the ugliest motard I have every seen!

Hey Edgy

I rode the 690 and I was slightly underwhelmed. I found it strange that the bike made most of it's power (quite a lot) above the midrange, exactly the opposite of what a motard should do? Dont get me wrong, it pulls like a train, just not the train I had in mind... And it is much smoother than any single I have ever ridden.

But remember that it is still brand-new and the twin pipes (chimneys) are super restrictive when it comes to power and noise. A nice set of Acra's and a FI remap will sort that out very quickly, and bring the power down the rev range a little. Damn greenies are spoiling things for us with the whole emissions thing...

But a great bike regardless...

Haha!!

Cant you remember back that far, PP...?

Musta been the herbs & spices we gave you...  O0

yeah i know its you...was for benefit of others! Was nice to see different gendres of bikes hanging out. When you putting real tyres on again ;D

Agreed...

Im fitting the "real" tyres again this weekend, going to Cradock next week and taking the bike along. Lots of mountain and bosveld riding.

Will come back with lots of pics.

Pity I cant join you's ou's on the Cedarberg trip... :(

Next time, eh?

Latest posts