Oil cooler plumbing??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grego

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
i'm busy getting all the bits together for an oil cooler setup on my XR500 but deciding what fittings to get is becoming a bit of a ball ache (i know very little about hydraulic hoses and fittings).  ???

i plan on blocking an oil feed to the head, located in the engine side cover, and rerouting that through the cooler and into the head.
the oil cooler i have is off a honda XR400...
DSCF1795.jpg

it has JIC fittings (i think) that have 14mm and 16mm threads. i want to keep these fittings.

i will be tapping into the side cover at point A...
oilfeed1.jpg

the maximum thread size that i can use is 8mm.
on the head there is space to go up to 10mm but would prefer to use 8mm.

so, i need two 90 degree elbows with 8mm thread on one end and a fitting for the oil hose on the other end.

what fittings should i get?
i would like to use braided hoses, are all fittings compatible with braided hoses?
as far as i can tell there are 2 main options... either the JIC type fitting or a tube type fitting where the hose slides on and clamps with a hose clamp. whats the better option?

i would also like a non-return valve in the cooler supply line so the cooler is full on start up.
do you get elbows with non-return valves built in or do i need to get some sort of inline valve?

where is a good place in CT to get all these bits?

any help would be much appreciated.  ;)

Latest posts