Only Vespa rider on the forum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

growweblaar

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Howzit

Can't stand London anymore - we're moving back to Cape Town at the end of the year. I'm looking to get into some adventure riding when I get back, so thought you okes might be able to help with some questions...

I've been riding a 125 Vespa for the last 3 years (you're ugly when you snigger!). I really want to upgrade to a proper motorcycle when I get back to SA, so hence the age-old "which bike" question.

I think I know pretty well what my requirements are, so it shouldn't be too difficult:

1. The bike will be my main mode of transport (daily commute, incl. some highway use, errands, etc.). I ride 52 weeks a year in London, so should be able to do the same in Cape Town. I hope to get by with a car for my wife and the bike for me - no 2nd car.

2. Will sometimes carry my wife as pillion.

3. To start with, will probably not do major off-road ventures, but would at least like to be able to tackle dirt roads with confidence.

4. Will do occasional camping trips/tours, probably with pillion and some luggage.

From this it seems obvious that I need some sort of adventure tourer. However:

a. Do I start on a small cheap bike, say a 250XL, or go directly to something like a 650?
b. If I go for a 650, which one?

Regarding a. the issue is obviously whether I will be a danger on the road on a 650. I have a full license, have been riding a 125 for 3 years, and have ridden various 50s, 175s, 185s & 200s on farms and the like - if only briefly. A 250 will be a better introduction since its much lighter (and cheaper to repair, if it falls!). However, the big bike will make for more comfortable highway cruising, etc.

If I do get a 650, which one. I've got my eye on the BMW F650 GS (standard model should be OK). I like the ABS option for the slippery Cape winter roads. I prefer the fact that it is 60/40 road-bias machine, since that would probably be how I use it (to start with, anyway).

I've looked at all the others and they are (for me) either too big, too expensive, or too off-road biased.

Or maybe I should just start with a 250 and sit in the slow lane for a while...?