Optimate....WTF am I doing wrong?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christian Kuun

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
I stuck a brand new battery in my Dakar last year May. Now, I dont get to ride as often as I like, so I bought an Optimate 3+ and connected it to my bike. FWIW, I have the short "battery connector/Plug" part permanently connected to the battery so that I can just unplug the main unit and go, or park and plug. Anyway, I wont say when I last rode because I will be kicked off the forum, but when I wanted to take a spin the other day, I unplugged and noticed even the bloody clock was dead. All this while the yellow light had been merrily flashing on the flipping unit for 6 months.... I turned the unit off and reconnected it again. Now they say the initial red "diagnosis" light should flash for 30 sec but can go for max 3 hours on very shitty batteries- mine went for 6 hours before going into charge mode. After 2 weeks of charging, just turning on the ignition kills the clock again and feint little red glows can be seen on the cluster. I think it is safe to assume the battery is Fxxked.

1) Is there some trick I should know about or something I am doing wrong?  :dontknow:

2) What and where do I get another battery? I am not going to buy another gold-plated OEM Beemer battery to test if the Optimate is working. I will rather get a generic and if it packs up, I can toss it and get a new one along with a new C-Tek.  ::)