Pain of the first off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 640 Adventure
Ah the pain of the first off.  I recently got a used 07 KTM 640 Adv with around 5000km on the clock and in pristine condition (I posted on WD for someone to look at it in Pta). Any way at the Alfie Cox DS ride a while ago, I lose the RHS Hyde plastic tank protector. A week or two ago, I go for the Whole Hog DS Ride as reported in the Ride Reports by SGB.  I go with a group going on the easy ride and I'm well within my comfort zone and going nice and slowly. First I lose my tool bag (a fanny pack that I've strapped on the rear rack-stupidly with just one strap (note to self, always have a fall back safety tie on)) but a sharp GS 1200 rider collects it for me. It's my lucky day I think and I'll always cut pig wranglers some slack in future.

Not so as far as the lucky day goes. A few kl's later I cut onto the inside of a fairly sharp and rutted steep downhill turn on the ball bearing gravel typical of the 1000 Hills. Just a sharpish touch of those twin discs and Bam! I'm down on the RH, unprotected side of the 'bike. A pillion pig straddler comes to see if I'm OK, only ego seriously dented and a bit of a sore ribcage but the new Katoom!!

Mean scratches on the tank and a broken mirror, so I'm really, really pissed for the rest of the day through what should have been a fantastic ride. No sympathy from wife - trying to be clever I suppose, is her comment.

Now I'm slow and careful, wrong side of 50 and been riding dirt bikes since a 360 Husky in 1976 so I'm really pissed.

Last weekend is a 2 day MTB ride (about 70km per day based in Winterton - Natro Berg & Bush). Beautiful riding but about 10k's into Day 1, I have a little front wheel moment in some mud, think I'm going to save it, so don't even unclip my foot, then the front goes big time. Another Bam, even harder than the powered 2 wheeler one. Auger into the mud, explosive grunt of pain as the wind is knocked out of me, get up and stagger around like a drunk. LHS ribs now sore.; nearby cameraman comes running up (no I wasn't showing off for the camera) so concerned he doesn't even keep the camera running (must have been an amateur).

Result was rest of 2 days pedaling under influence of OTC pain killers (another vote for Myprodol) and pain at every jolt (and on a hard tail MTB in a rocky area full of cow paths there are plenty).

One week from the bicycle and a few weeks from the KTM get off, my ribs are recovering, my 640 will be scarred for life and I hardly have the courage to look. Ego is fubar and I'm still grumpy about it.