paris hilton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bugger Paris Hilton. Nikki is a babe!! :D Where is that :drooling: icon? Krazy, you going to get her her own bike one of these days?

Nice exploration K-E , will speak to you about GPS log ;o)

I feel a Parys to DaBar ride coming on.

it was the perfect groupsize - max 5
ive always wanted to find a route to parys, but wasnt sure about its existance, but now we know its there.

my gecko gps did record a track, but i dont have a cable for it. sorry. one of the other guys might be able to post theirs.

good exploration and sharing!

7.jpg

Nominated for the photo competition - yeah man!

I regularly ride alone in and around squatter camps and informal shacks in the Cape. I haven't been bothered or felt unsafe once. I have been doing this since 1993. There are loads of great single tracks that go into and out of them and are made because most everyone is on foot.

I have only met very friendly people. I have often stopped to give kids and a few adults a ride and you won't believe the fun, questions and goodwill that it generates.

As a result I have gotten involved in upgrading the facilities of a cr�¨che in Kayalitsha and raised just over R7000 for it and am in the process of getting a fitted out container classroom sponsored from Maersk.

I have been toying with the idea of organising a DS day of riding through some of these places, stopping at some of the taverns for food and a chat with the residents.

I think that we have a perception heavily skewed by the media of these places.

Whites never mind Motorcycles are so far off the radar of experience for the residents of these places. With a bit of sensitvity to riding safely (kids, animals etc.) we are viewed with huge curiosity and surprise rather than animosity and potential targets.

Sorry for the Hijack (ironic)

Nice one Kamanya, but remember, Krazy Eyes got the rock treatment before, so I don't blame him.

Kamanya said:
I think that we have a perception heavily skewed by the media of these places.

Whites never mind Motorcycles are so far off the radar of experience for the residents of these places. With a bit of sensitvity to riding safely (kids, animals etc.) we are viewed with huge curiosity and surprise rather than animosity and potential targets.

absolutely!
i couldnt agree more. i think we are scared of the un-known, and a squatter camp sits right up there on the list. the people are generally curious, and if you greet them you are met with friendly smiles.

but at the same time, i have been through many squatter camps and informal settlements and i can definitely say that one should exercise extreme caution. it is impossible to say that you are "safe" in there as the only whitey. as many times as i have been met with friendlyness, the same amount of times have i experienced hostility!
all this is while riding slowly and courteously)
once nikki got hit by a bottle, thrown at her by a middle aged man for no reason (probably sour about apartheid, which quite frankly had nothing to do with my generation), and as you all know, my bike was hit by a rather large rock near hammanskraal.

but yes, we cannot generalise and say all SC's are filled with criminals

sorry for hijack, but my riding around Tembisa and squatter camps like Ivory Park have been uneventfull but there are other dangers.
As these informal settlements are often off the beaten path they are often used by criminals for dodgy deals. I was lucky to miss out some car thieves who stole and stripped a car totally clean of parts in the bushes by this one area I ride, the cops had just got there and were looking around for signs of the deed. They drove the stolen 4x4 there with about 4 other vehichles and drove away with the thing totally dissasembled. Not a trace.

Imagine if I had ridden up to this bunch of trees while this was in progress.

So yeah, its nothing, but be carefull.

It was my first trip with guys I've met on this forum. (GREAT BUNCH)

Must thank you again K-E!! GREAT TRIP!! Can't wait for the next 1.

I've got the track (log), should any body want to try it out?

:D :D :D 8) 8) :D :D :D

actually it went well for a exploration ride, we did not find ourselves at a dead-end where we had to backtrack even once!

gr8 ride ! My personal fav was the trail at Randfontein, my DRZ lives for those stuff. The sandy road after the vaal crossing was entertaining as well. I'll post my pics tomorrow,typing on cellphone now. Nice meeting Muddy and GSing too.

Only got arounfd to my pics today. Here are some more from the "Paris" trip.

Outside Randfontein, really enjoyed these tracks ! Everything from sand to rocks and some mud.

DSCF5864.jpg

KE and Nikki approaching the muddy section.

DSCF5866.jpg

DSCF5867.jpg

DSCF5868.jpg

Meanwhile the water route next to the mud ended up being alot less effort :lol:

Taking a break

DSCF5865.jpg

DSCF5870.jpg

Outside the township, a pic just for KE

DSCF5872.jpg

The routes in and arounf the Vredefort dome

DSCF5876.jpg

DSCF5877.jpg

DSCF5883.jpg

Crossing the Vaal

DSCF5882.jpg

DSCF5879.jpg

DSCF5881.jpg

Wonder who lived here ?

DSCF5885.jpg

DSCF5884.jpg

And finally the luch stop for the day at Mimosa

DSCF5887.jpg

DSCF5867.jpg

This little mud stream is a great candidate for the KTM 950 power crossing, just lift the front and land it on the other side, once thats over who cares about the rear wheel :)

Sometimes power does have its advantages, I'd have to put my back out to lift the front over there.