Parys Dome Ride Sun 9th Jan 2011

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules

Race Dog
WD Vendor
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
What a lekker day, Lots of water lots of muddy puddles and perfect weather!

The Vaal was flooding all over! I have never seen it like this. We had to extend the ride as the single car bridge was completely under water and we had to take the long way round.

We only had rain for the last 20k's as we got home

Close to 400Km's for the day! got home at 4:30 with a big smile on my face!!

No Incident's to report I think we only had one "oopsie" in the mud for the day.

Will upload and post some pictures soon

Thanks so much to all who joined,

Jules

Meeting Spot
par2011jan1.jpg

Muddy Puddle!
par2011jan2.jpg

par2011jan3.jpg

par2011jan4.jpg

par2011jan5.jpg

par2011jan6.jpg

par2011jan7.jpg

Adolf's new toy!
par2011jan9.jpg

par2011jan10.jpg

par2011jan12.jpg

par2011jan13.jpg

par2011jan14.jpg

More

par2011jan18.jpg

par2011jan19.jpg

par2011jan20.jpg

par2011jan24.jpg

par2011jan25.jpg

par2011jan28.jpg

This is a single vehicle concrete bridge that normaly is about a meter above the water!

par2011jan31.jpg

par2011jan34.jpg

Only took a few pics, will post them tonight was finished by the time I got home yesterday so have not even taken them off the camera yet.

Thanks all for a great ride.

We had a great day and the weather allso played along. :ricky:
Thanks again Jules and every one else.

Looks like fun - I'm sorry that I missed it.

A little bit of context on the concrete bridge - I think that this is the one - and what it usually looks like ;)

Attachments

• Dome Bridge.jpg
    Dome Bridge.jpg
    96.8 KB
nice!!

did that route around the 22nd december (i think)

water was juuuust under the concrete bridge- but flowing RAPIDLY

How did you guys get around the big ass water pipes that is at the bottom of Leon's hill? (on the mining property)

i saw some plastic bike tracks going over it, but was not going to try it on the dak solo. I had to back track to Randfontein and cut out the section around the farmer's field.

Grootseun, we went just to the right of the pipes, was shallow enough to get across - that water is putrid tho, would hate to fall there!!!!

Pistol said:
Grootseun, we went just to the right of the pipes, was shallow enough to get across - that water is putrid tho, would hate to fall there!!!!

had a look at that option but once again - did not feel like getting into a spot of bother on my ace (its always easier wrestling a bike out of mud etc when there's more than one pair of hands.)

BTW - i saw the "no motorcycle signs" was freshly painted and more of them made visible - i am getting a bit worried about the mine suddenly starting to enforce the rule. But they really should put up a fence there if they dont want us to ride there.

and yes - that water is seriously dodgy!!!!

Moondog said:
Looks like fun - I'm sorry that I missed it.

A little bit of context on the concrete bridge - I think that this is the one - and what it usually looks like ;)

Yip scary to see the difference, We were on the other side, you can see from the trees how high the water was

Attachments

• Dome Bridge.jpg
    Dome Bridge.jpg
    75.2 KB
The overflown bridge is SchoemansDrift if im not mistaken.

Nice to see you didnt break anyone this time out Jules  :imaposer:

Nice one :thumleft:. Sorry I could not make it.

Smithey said:

Wettest dodgyest conditions, no Ambulances, but give them nice dry fast conditions  :peepwall: :peepwall:

Welsh said:
Smithey said:

Wettest dodgyest conditions, no Ambulances, but give them nice dry fast conditions  :peepwall: :peepwall:
Most of the roads were dry and we had some nice fast sections

Definitely Schoemansdrift. We were there on Saturday. Super high water on the Vaal over the weekend. It is getting lower now though.

Gee S said:
Welsh said:
Smithey said:

Most of the roads were dry and we had some nice fast sections

No issue just joking, I have ridden with Jules before  :biggrin: