Polokwane to Baviaans and back in one day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skydiver

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-250L
I took vacation leave for the three work days of this week. On Wednesday I woke up to perfect weather and decided to take the bike and just drive somewhere. All my riding buddies were at work so I decided to go ride on my lonesome. Now you all might think that I am mad to try make Baviaans and back in one day on a thumper but "sometimes a man's got to do what a man's got to do"

Pic 1. This old car wreck was parked just outside Mokopane town
Pic 2. On the R101 I saw this monument that was erected to commemorate the Groot Trek. Now I have travelled this road many times with the cage and never even noticed this monument next to the road

Attachments

• one.jpg
    one.jpg
    153.4 KB
  • two.jpg
    two.jpg
    189 KB
Pic 3.       Along the way I stopped at the Halfway Stop Cafe. Now I don't know where the name comes from because it is only a few km's   outside Mokopane and not halfway between any place that I am aware of

Pic 4,5. Nature is claiming back the buildings. No more ice cold beers, billiards and toilets available for the weary travellers at this establishment  :imaposer:

Attachments

• three.jpg
    three.jpg
    187.5 KB
  • four.jpg
    four.jpg
    181.6 KB
  • five.jpg
    five.jpg
    183.9 KB
Pic 6. Approaching Naboomspruit (Mookgopong) I got stopped at a Stop and Go due to re-surfacing of the road. At least the waiting period was only about five minutes

Pic 7. Saw this gate next to the road....wonder what the meaning of Elcado is?

Pic 8. Upon entering Naboomspruit, I decided to go for a cold one at Sasha's. I have often heard the name from the likes of Subie, Megapix, Duster etc and started making enquiries at the local garages. I got directions and when I found Sasha's I discovered that the entire place was locked. A contractor arrived shortly after me and he only pulled up his shoulders when he saw that it was locked and drove off again

Attachments

• six.jpg
    six.jpg
    102.3 KB
  • seven.jpg
    seven.jpg
    151.7 KB
  • eight.jpg
    eight.jpg
    180.6 KB
Pic 9.        I left Naboomspruit and took the Sterkrivier turn off. What a nice winding road. There were several potholes to negotiate but the sweeping bends and plenty of buck next to the fence lines made the drive worthwhile.

Pic 10. And then....much sooner than expected, I arrived at Baviaanskloof.  :thumleft: If I knew it was this close to me I would have ticked it off my bucket list long ago.  :biggrin:

Pic 11. The impressive entrance to Baviaanskloof

Attachments

• nine.jpg
    nine.jpg
    119.8 KB
  • ten.jpg
    ten.jpg
    138 KB
  • eleven.jpg
    eleven.jpg
    176.3 KB
Pic 12. The turn off to Doorndraai dam. This sign needs some serious maintenance

Pic 13. A farmer put up this huge wrought iron cross next to the road

Pic 14. Look at the size the blue gum tree compared to the car on the road

Pic 15. And then it was the last stretch home on the black top. No gravel done on this trip which was a bit boring and frustrating but all in all a relaxing day by myself on the thumper

So you all see...its true. No lies your honor.  >:D
       Thank you for riding with.
       Distance covered 248 km. Consumption 4.2l/100km.    

Attachments

• twelve.jpg
    twelve.jpg
    113.8 KB
  • thirteen.jpg
    thirteen.jpg
    154.8 KB
  • fourteen.jpg
    fourteen.jpg
    124.3 KB
  • fifteen.jpg
    fifteen.jpg
    165.7 KB
Wonder waar is daai Baviaanskloof en hoe het hy sy naam gekry?

ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS said:
Hierdie Baviaanskloof is omtrent 25km buite Mokopane.
Ek het ook eers gister op die plek afgekom.

skydiver said:
ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS said:
Hierdie Baviaanskloof is omtrent 25km buite Mokopane.
Ek het ook eers gister op die plek afgekom.
So as iemand "baviaanskloof" in sy gps tik in Gauteng sal hy Mokopane toe gaan of Patensie toe?

Well done, you got us all there. And the best is, your Baviaans trip was just as nice as any other. Enjoyed this.  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

Sommer geweet  toe ek sien jy is op n XT660R dat dit is moontlik  :imaposer:
Lyk of Sasha gevou het.

Hiers amper nog een in die Koue Bokkeveld ook....Baviaanshoek

Nice report  :thumleft:

Ja dis eintlik 'n wildsplaas/lodge op die Sterkrivier - Marken teerpad.  Baie mooi ingang maar was self nog nooit binne nie.  Skydiver, as jy weer hier kom deurry in Naboom, dan moet jy asb my kontak, selfs in werkstyd, sal graag ontmoet en bietjie gesels.  Kan selfs saamry as jy nie omgee vir geselskap nie.

Lekker trippie wat jy gedoen het.

En hier sit ek en dink dis n iron but poging  O0

Jors Troelie said:
Well done, you got us all there. And the best is, your Baviaans trip was just as nice as any other. Enjoyed this.  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:
Thank you Jors Troelie, I'm glad you enjoyed the RR.

Duster said:
Ja dis eintlik 'n wildsplaas/lodge op die Sterkrivier - Marken teerpad.  Baie mooi ingang maar was self nog nooit binne nie.  Skydiver, as jy weer hier kom deurry in Naboom, dan moet jy asb my kontak, selfs in werkstyd, sal graag ontmoet en bietjie gesels.  Kan selfs saamry as jy nie omgee vir geselskap nie.

Lekker trippie wat jy gedoen het.
Duster, ek sal jou beslis kontak voordat ek weer in jou kontrei gaan rondry.
Dit sal lekker wees om bietjie met jou te gesels.

subie said:
Sommer geweet  toe ek sien jy is op n XT660R dat dit is moontlik  :imaposer:
Lyk of Sasha gevou het.
Ja Subie....enigiets is moontlik op 'n XT660R  :lol8:

Lem said:
Hiers amper nog een in die Koue Bokkeveld ook....Baviaanshoek

Nice report  :thumleft:
Dan beter jy Baviaanshoek besoek en vir ons 'n lekker RR gee Lem.
Ons wag in spanning.  :deal:

Latest posts