Project V-Strom (650) - More Adventure, less road

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blauth

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hello Chaps

I am pretty new to this site so with any luck, I will get lots of excellent advise on my project. I have purchased a crashed DL650. It's not bad, just fell over on the side and trashed the crash bars. It also has no wheels but the forks are fine.

I intend to rebuild as a naked SM style but with more offroad orientated approach but due to limited funds, this is going to happen in two phases

Phase 1: Extend the existing forks by 100mm with reinforcing sleeve (purely to get ground clearance) and raise the back. Since I have no wheels, put spoked wheels on. I already have a BMW GS1200 19" front wheel that seems like it will fit with minimum fuss (custom bearings, bushes). Not sure what I am going to do about the speedo gear.... I am also not sure which back wheel to use. The criteria for the back wheel are similar width as stock (take a 140 back tyre preferrably) and must be spoked with the soft drive on the sprocket. KTM 640 SM wheels sounds about right but where to find one down in South Africa?!

Phase 2: Toss the whole front end and replace with a trick set of upside down WP forks or similar and a 21" front wheel. This will cost quite a lot so this is definately phase 2.

Any ideas on what back wheel to use guys?