Proposed Lesotho trip 19th - 25th September

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mambat

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
Hi all

This is my first proper post on Wild Dog...So hi to all  :thumleft:
I have spent many hours on here as lurker!

I am posting asking advice from the Dogs that know Lesotho well, I have searched and read all the related
posts on riding in that magnificent but daunting country but still have questions, so apologies if this rehashes
questions asked that I overlooked.....

Firstly, we will be five guys with varying riding skill levels on an 1150GS, 990 KTM, 650 Dakar
F800GS and an Africa Twin so quite a variety represented :)

Herewith is our proposed route

ROUTE:

Day 1: Sunday 19th  = 177km/s (577Km/s for Jhb guys join us in Clarens)
JHB guys leave the big smoke at 6, heading Bethlehem then Clarence for a breakfast and join up with CPT guys at about 09:00. Left after Clarence on R712 to Golden Gate Highlands National Park. Out of G G H N P right on to R57 in a southerly direction  to S20. Right at S20 heading west to Phuthaditjhaba past Beirut to Monontsha @ the NE border post of Leshoto (should be there by about 12:30-13:00). On the B161 through Sefako, Libono next to the Caledon river At the A1, hook a left direction east south-east to Khukhune. over night at New Oxbow Lodge.

Day 2: Monday 20th = 167km/s
Tlaeeng Pass ( highest in Africa) first thing. Right onto B804 to Kao Mines road ( the mail I sent you guys ) Apparently quite technical.  Next stop Lejone ( north of Katse Dam ) heading south on the west side of Dam. Crossing Dam at southern point and west to Katse Lodge (Overnight)

Day 3: Tuesday 21st = 293km/s
South to Thaba-Tseka. Right On the A3. Mokhoabong  Pass then Pass of the Jackals to Matsonyane. Still westerly to Likalaneng ( lek haar ding, 4 the dutchmen). Over the Blue Mountain Pass then the God help me Pass, Bushmen's Pass to Boinyatso. Left to Roma on A5  pass Baboons to just before Moitsupeli were we go right on B251 head for Maealea. Stay at Maealea lodge / Backpackers.

Day 4: Wednesday 22nd = 224km/s
From here we head south to B25 through Masemouse (moeder se kwas ) Mpharane to Mohale's Hoek. A2 to Brakfontein, Mekaling, Alwynskop and exit Lesotho at Tele Bridge on the South West side. Heading south on the R393 we go through Lunden’s Nek turning left onto R396 at Moshesh’s Ford through to Rhodes and sleep over at Rhodes Hotel.

Day 5: Thursday 23rd = 339km/s
Leave Rhodes, through Naudesnek, Elands Height and Lower Pitseng. Take a left onto R56 through Mount Fletcher and from there, work our way to through Swartberg, Underberg and Himeville to Sani Pass and over night at Sani top Chalets.

Day 6: Friday 25th = 361km/s (575km/s Jhb guys)
Back down Sani Pass, left on secondary dirt roads running parallel with Drakensberg, Kamberg Nature Reserve, Bergville, R74 to Sterkfontein Dam,
(Jhb guys split off right onto N3 at Harrismith or even stay over at Clarens for the last night) Ct boys back through GGNP to Clarens.

So, what do you guys think of the route?

Are we biting off more than we can chew?
Looking at Garmap and T4A it looks relatively easy and fuel should be available throughout the route,
correct me if I am wrong!

With regards to the border posts I have conflicting information, do we need paperwork for the bikes?
I have heard we need an insurance cover letter and a ZA sticker on the bikes as well?
Obviously passports but anything else that we dont know about?

Looking forward to responses from the Dogs that know and further questions I have not thought to ask!

Cheers

Mambat