Pulled the trigger on a 2017 BMW 1200 GSA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gremlin

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
So I have joined the ranks of old codgers on fat ass GS1200s! I moved on from a Yammie XTZ so will probably be mugged by 2StrokeDan at some point! So howzit , and apologies for my ignorance on these bikes.

I bought an overpriced (My insurance broker laughed at me when I gave him the purchase price - ja that's what impatience will get you)  2017 BMW 1200 GSA from GS Traders with 23K on the clock and I have a few questions.....

1. I noticed that the engine temp rises to 95C in traffic without the fans coming on. Is this normal?? What temp should they come on. No warning light so assume all is ok.
2. When I ride the  bike up over a low kerb I hear a bit of a clunk from the front shock. This may well be coming from the screen flexing - cant quite make out. Should I be concerned?
3. I see in the manual that the screw driver handle doubles as an oil cap removal tool. Unfortunately mine just has normal screwdriver so thats a f..up. Can one buy these from the agent? Is there a dipstick under the cap?? (I told you I was ignorant!) Do I need one?
4. Whats with the gear change gearing up!! Ive driven tractors with smoother changes. Is this normal? Ok its not as bad as that but it is a bit clunky!! And this bike is supposed to have the gearbox upgrade (aka blue dial ). Changing down is smooth.
5. How the hell do you know what options are on a bike?? I thought the GSA came with hill assist!!  I used a vin decoder but the stuff it says I got don't mean shit to me!
6. I have thought about trying to track down the previous owner (Andrew Eve I think is his name) to ask him but I don't know where to start!
7. Lastly, is there anything I should be looking for on the  bike to check or things I should upgrade?

Anyway looking forward to being part of this community and not being ignored by BMW riders like when I was on a Yammie!!  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: