Question about adjusting the gearlever on a 1100GS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eisbein

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Hi there !

I had my gear lever rattle loose on the way to my wife on Friday and re attached it.

I figured while I was there, let me adjust it a little.
Found out something weird.

The 'connecting shaft/rod' that link the gear leaver with the linkage at the top has thread on either side (check the picture), but both are in the same direction. As far as I understand these things it should be opposite, so that if I turn it clockwise or anticlockwise it should extend or shorten the distance if the 'connecting rod' (sorry for the lack of technical terms).

So instead all I'm getting is the shaft that moves in and out respectively at the top and bottom, making no difference in the relative position of the gearlever and the shifter linkage. Is this by design ?
I cannot believe that they made it this way.

The only way that I can then adjust the gearlever is in changing of the position of the 'notches' on the 'triangular link clamp' that goes onto the shifting shaft that goes into the gearbox.

I suppose I can get an engineering shop to make up a connecting shaft with an extra link that has 'opposing direction thread' on it, but I was just wondering if I'm missing something here ?

Thanks !

Wihan

gearlever1.jpg