R1200GS K.I.A - It has been good riding with you...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnus

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
So the other morning I pulled off the road and was about to get back on when I struck a manhole - without a cover!  It was quite overgrown and not marked at all, and with the revvs too low to even try and blip the front wheel over, there was absolutely no way to either avoid or clear it!  Fortunately I went over (it helps if your bike kind of disappears below you) and had a soft landing on the grass a couple of meters away.

With not as much as a scratch or bruise (thanks to ATGATT and guardian angels) I was horrified to see what happened with my beloved bike.  The front forks were destroyed and various other bits and pieces damaged.  Total repair bill: R87k!!!  The insurance decided to euthanize my bike and wrote it off  :'(

It was fun while it lasted - we shared great moments together and she always managed to pull me through the tough stuff, but not this last time.  Rest in pieces...

I sometimes wonder if a KTM with WP forks would have made it, or if the f#%$&r that stole the cover is having a nice braai (or got some good cash at a scrap yard), or if I was in another gear, I would have been able to clear it.  But perhaps it's time to wonder which bike next!  Unfortunately my wife is not on that page yet  ::)  But in the mean time, I'm shopping around, so let me have your thoughts  ;)

So keep your eyes open and always expect the unexpected!

09022010318.jpg

09022010316.jpg

09022010317.jpg

09022010312.jpg