Rain in the Richtersveld Two.0 - Desolation & Dunes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
Yep – you read it right, this is the sequel. We intend to outdo the Rocky franchise when it comes to sequels, though with a higher level of interest and intrigue.

WTF is it about Port Nolloth?!

Last year we arrived here with half our team lost, location unknown, state of health (other than mental – which we know is questionable) unknown.

This year I find myself sprawled across the centre line of the road in front of the hotel, pinned down by two bikes and a rider, who shall remain nameless at this stage. Suffice to say to his credit, he did express his profound gratitude to the gentleman, who after scrutinising the tangled heap of men and machines, elected to walk on by, whilst inside the hotel was a smorgasbord of squashed noses pressed against the front windows all trying, as was I, to figure out what on earth this tangled mess spewing obscenities from the middle of the road was all about.

A footpeg was firmly securing my ankle to the tarmac, which was somewhat exasperated by the, so far nameless, rider standing on my rear wheel in an effort to get my bike off me. All this conspired to create a mélange of chaos - Howls of recommendations from me as to where he should put his excessive bulk combined with his complimenting the local dignitaries on their demeanour and helpfulness all emanating from a train wreck in the centre of the road - WTF is it about Port Nolloth?!

1726052410926.jpeg

At the end of last years ride, we battled to get unanimity on most things, but on one there was resounding agreement “We are doing this again!”. And just like that it is now planned, done, dusted and already all over.

This year’s rendition was built on last with a few changes. For the routes Gus took advice from many of the forums luminaries and added a few of his own twists and turns to the trails. We decided to try a hub and spoke approach this year, basing ourselves in Springbok and venturing out for overnight rides to some of the nether regions of the area. This gave us greater flexibility ito routes available, without pressing distances, and gave us lighter bikes.

Screenshot 2024-09-11 130823.png

I thoroughly enjoyed the new approach. (anything to drop a few grams).

this looks solid and a great idea., great area with a bit of everything. very keen for the rest of the report

looks like you skipped Kammieskroon area, great idea, now you have to do it again!

We lost one of last years’ team and gained 4 new members.

On the equipment side there were changes from bikes through to underwear, in particular a few bright pink numbers introduced into proceedings.

Navigation was being done on Locus Maps, I was trying an Insta360 - after having got gatvol of hours of carefully recorded rides which have only resulted in detailed documenting of my dash and nether regions or the clouds! I mean really, I was on Itchyboots' rear wheel for much of the final stage of the Kalahari rally and had little more than a precise record of the speed travelled, which was higher than anyone would expect - except when she over cooked a corner, then it was just dust. So if you perchance see photos or video of someone riding with a large appendage on his helmet, it is a CAMERA! Nothing more, nothing less.

One of the new members to the team was our very own Claudio von Planta whose photo's, gopro and drone footage will feature prominently in this report. i had hoped to insert his rendition of Day 1 - but am going to have to relearn the Forums size limits for videos.

If you ever need a photographer to document your wildest bike trip, Stephan is the man. He has a great eye, full command of the photographic technical arsenal he carries and will get his bike absolutely anywhere whilst all the while maintaining a cool calm demeanour. Just to add icing to the cake, he is a mean mechanic too.

Lekker Boris!

Leaving on our trip to Richtersveld Saturday
Will read this when we’re back 😈
EISH!!! That is not fair!

Ride safely, fun you will have in abundance. I think your timing may be better than ours was in terms of the flowers. It seems the rains were late and patchy, so limited floral spectacles when we went through.

Our usual pre ride banter ensued, with very little of value being added – OTHER than, we have recruited a real life Borat! All our previous attempts to wear the Borat kit failed miserably in the err hmmm …for want of a better description - the budgie smuggling component. For the more delicate of demeanour, let’s just say, the budgie did not want to be smuggled inconspicuously and escaped around the edges of the rather minimal kit.

The secret, our new candidate revealed, was to only wear it in winter – nice cold winter water will shrink the budgie – thereafter no problem with smuggling it inconspicuously. Photo to prove this.

1726149523485.png

Enough with the frivolities. As usual, Gus’ planning was fastidious, I think this year more so than before. We even had the cell number of the pilot for the rescue chopper stationed in Kimberly! How's that for attention to detail.

Routes were based on what we enjoyed last year, plus some consultation with the upper echelons of hardcore adventure riders, Expat, John Wood & Co. The mere mention of a route in the Richtersveld suggested by any of them is sufficient to tighten the stomach of most adv bike riders.

I noticed Gus had included a route that @Kamanya had the following advice for the WARR National Bash last year:

Kamanya's description of the route Gus was planning on taking 9 pensioners & their caretaker over

🫣

1726149563264.png

We based ourselves in Springbok at Elkoweru Guest House. They were terrific hosts, great breakfasts comfortable accommodation, plenty of secure parking for vehicles, trailers, bikes and room (plus tolerance to accommodate) bike washing and servicing when required.

Elkoweru has three separate facilities, the one at the end of the road behind us, and either side of it.

IMG-20240824-WA0030.jpg

For the longer days, we packed a change of underpants and a toothbrush for a night at the end of the day's ride, generally coming back to Springbok the next day. Nice light travelling.

All of our motley crew elected to trailer their bikes to Springbok. I took the scolding from last years ride report and rode there. Ok, being the only Cape based participant did hold some sway.

Our vehicle bound team were in a hurry.

1726223836659.jpeg

1726224815638.jpeg

My trip was throwing all it could at me to keep my time of arrival in Springbok retreating faster than the horizon's ability to keep pace.

Just after Bot River, before the sun was up, a Guinea Fowl was doing its utmost to force me off the road, I went across all sides of the road and back again. Once we both had established that my bike was now weaving like a drunkard sailor yet remained upright, only just. The Guinea fowl decided it was time to put an end to my evasive action, flying up and hitting the very edge of my handle bars. Scott Dampers Rule! Thank goodness. No damper, I would probably have lost this bout to the bird.

Scotts 1 - Guinea Fowl 0.

The Cannola Fileds near Theewaterskool dam helped get me back on an even keel. They are truly spectacular at this time of year.

1726224922940.jpeg

I was beginning to taste the first cup of coffee of the day as the board indicating 20km to Worcester appeared. A few minutes later the back of my bike felt like that Guinea Fowls very much bigger brother had a grip on it. A glance at my tyre pressure monitor indicated all was not well.

1726225118013.jpeg

I know it does not look like it, but there is no air in this tyre. However, being Motoz's with their unyielding sidewalls i was able to make the 10km to Worcester - albeit very slowly. As great as these are for toughness, so too are they a nightmare to change on the side of the road.