Replacing oil seals on a KTM 950/990's forks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panne

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
Ok, here goes:

Iâ??m not the worldâ??s greatest DIY guy unless DIYâ??s the acronym for Destroy It Yourself. The oil seals on my 950â??s forks had to be replaced and I decided to tackle this myself. With some advice from Lito and a tool acquired from Runner, it actually went swimmingly in the end.

This is what you would need to do:

Step 1

You will need a bench vice to clamp the fork. I do not have one, thus I used my old triple clamp like so:

009.jpg

Step 2

Fork inserted and pinch bolts tightened. Ready to loosen fork cap.

010.jpg

Step 3

Now, you will need the tool pictured below. Got mine from Runner. You can also fashion a similar tool but please DO NOT use a punch and hammer to loosen the fork cap.

011.jpg

Step 4

Unscrew the fork cap.

012.jpg

Step 5

Compress the front spring and insert a thin 22mm open-end spanner to hold the damper rod in position. Remove the fork cap using a 24mm spanner as depicted.

013.jpg

Step 6

Remove the preload spacer and then the fork spring

014.jpg

Step 7

Remove the adjustment tube.

016.jpg

Step 8

Turn the fork upside down over a suitable container to allow old oil to drain. You can also move the damper rod up and down a few times which will help it drain faster. I left mine overnight to ensure it drained properly.

017.jpg

Step 9

Using a 19mm socket, remove the compression piston. If it turns with the fork cartridge, bend the damper rod a bit to the side to prevent this. Patience is the keyword here, it took me a while and a few curses to remove it.

018.jpg

Second instalment to follow.  :ricky: