Replacing the stearing bearings of my KLR.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beltzer

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda TransAlp XL700V
So my bearing also gave in as suspected. The removal was done one evening but we cut the bottom dust seal with the grinder when trying to remove the inner race of the bottom bearing. I thought you would like to see some of the photos I took; unfortunately I did not take photos of the day when we assembled it. I was the camera man and barman for the evening and my brother did all the work.

The workshop for the evening, thatâ??s the nice thing about not being married, you can have your workshop inside your house. It was just a bit difficult to get the bike through the doors.

IMG_2055.jpg

So the stripping starts:

IMG_2060.jpg

I wonder how this gets through Kawasakiâ??s QA checks, if they have.

IMG_2073.jpg

Inspection to see what to strip next:

IMG_2080.jpg

A Calibra 12 inch bike stand:

IMG_2081.jpg

What we would have liked to have:

IMG_2084.jpg

What we had:

IMG_2087.jpg

The new bearings:

IMG_2091.jpg

Top part removed:

IMG_2098.jpg

A little help from the hammer:

IMG_2104.jpg

And its out

IMG_2105.jpg

The outer race looks heavily worn, apparently because of water that got to it. That why the grease is that colour.

IMG_2111.jpg

Ok plan A which didnâ??t work: Make a tool to remove the race.
A very hard cutting blade:

IMG_2117.jpg

The shaping:

IMG_2125.jpg

Trying to get the thing out with my laaitjie watching us sukkel... should have listened to Groenie, but at that stage I had many beers and could not remember what he said.

IMG_2129.jpg

So that didnâ??t work, Plan B: Weld a piece of allen key to the thing and moer it out from the top:

IMG_2134.jpg

Preperation of the bottom of the housing:

IMG_2138.jpg

Putting the new one in:

IMG_2144.jpg

And inspection again:

IMG_2149.jpg

A photo of Plan B:

IMG_2150.jpg

Thatâ??s unfortunately all the photos I have, but after we got a new bottom dust seal everything was put back together without any incident, and my bike stear like a new one again.