Review of the 1150Adventure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboef

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
So, as we are on the topic of bike reviews elsewhere, I want to do my bit as well.

Here's my impressions of the 1150GSA.

Model: 2002
Km: 63800
Had the bike now for about 6weeks. Done about 4500km.

The good:
1) The bike is meant for long distances. It just eats up the road in supreme comfort.
2) The seat - incredibly comfortable.
3) Brakes - very very good.
4) Handling and balance - the bike is heavy, but the balance is perfect. Much easier to handle at slow speeds than the Africa Twin. It eats twisties for breakfast, and comes back for seconds.
5) Engine - very powerful, smooth, not much vibrations. Incredible torque. :D
6) Panniers - very nice OE panniers, very sturdy, easy to put on/take off.
7) ABS - good to know its there in an emergency.
8) Pillion comfort - very good

The bad:
1) Windscreen is shit. I'm trying everything to get it better, have extended it about 4cm. (my bike's screen was shortened about 3cm by the previous owner) The screen shakes terribly when riding gravel.
2) Gearbox - clunky and harsh. Sometimes when changing to 2nd, there's a bit of a grinding sound.
3) Choke - difficult to operate.
4) Panniers racks - cumbersome and ugly. You have to fold them upwards and clamp them shut when the panniers are not in use. It spoils the look of the bike big time. Altenative is to remove the brackets completely every time you come back from a trip.
5) Headlights - what headlights?
6) Fuel consuption - relative heavy, never got more than 15km/l

Overall impression:
Not a bike to go play around in the dirt with. Too heavy for that. But very capable on and off road, and a long-distance tourer by nature. Very comfortable (if I can get the screen sorted).
Built like a brick shithouse, tough, - it feels indestructable.
The tank is veeeeery purdy, it gives me a woody just looking at it.
Very happy owner I am... 8)

Please comment on the above points, you other 1150GSA owners. I would really like to hear what your impressions are.