Ride to Klipdrif

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vilaishima

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
Three guys planning a ride to Klipdrif Lapa close to Loskp dam: Myself (Caponord), McSpafter (Caponord) & Bullwai (The KLR).
We planned on riding as little tar as possible and ended up riding as much as we could  :D

Packed and ready to go with McSpafter doing some last minute tweaks to an MIA indicator bulb.
74267354.jpg

69289086.jpg

We took a road to nowhere and ended up in some deeply rutted, uncultivated "farmland". Interesting terrain for a fully laden Caponord. It ended a a dead end so we had to retrace and relive the rutted sections but it was all great fun.

Some photos before we entered the "farmland" section.
28273544.jpg

12673219.jpg

85260982.jpg

79506564.jpg

After our little "farmland" adventure we took a tar section to the correct dirtroad an stopped at the garage near Rayton for a quick tyre pressure correction. This did NOT go as planned. McSpafter's bike failed to start.

After checking all the basic things like the battery, main relay, etc we decided that the problem was of a more serious nature than a simple loose connection. To cut a long story short we ended up breaking a quick disconnect off a high pressure fuel line and did some shebeen-side(there was some serious soccer action going on in the shebeen less than 5 m away) engineering to get the fuel connection fixed. After we got thatsorted the bike still failed to start and we had to start making other arrangements as the little started failing.
64328336.jpg

After the atmosphere around us grew a little "festive" we decided to put everything back together and head towards Mike's parents place Egons to ask permission to leave the bike there for the night. Bullwai towed the Caponord there with the KLR without incident but sadly I have no pictures of this.

Mike's parents gave McSpafter permission to leave the bike there for the night and we decided that Bullwai and I would head towards Klipdrif  and McSpafter would get a lift to Pretoria and dream up a plan to fix his bike the next morning and join us at the camp.

We did the last 10km of dirt section in utter darkness at an unsafe pace on an unknown road and stopped quickly  to check the directions.
27118597.jpg

Our destination was Klipdrif Tent camp. An absolutely awesome venue with 6 tents with beds and matresses, an equiped kitchen, etc. A very nice place.
99172082.jpg

The lone tent on the other side of the river that passes through the camp.
52500604.jpg

63709591.jpg

83699485.jpg

McSPafter managed to sort his bike the next day and decided to join us. It ended up being a blocked breather pipe for the fuel tank. A 5 minute fix if you knew what the problem was. We met him at the start of the gravel road and he made it safely and without incident to the camp.

Bullwai after some beers  ;D
62539846.jpg

McSpafter obviously happy to be there...i think.. ???
34875100.jpg

Myself and Bullwai enjoying the fire
94625651.jpg

Sunday morning after a breakfast we packed our things and headed back to Pretoria. A short but worthwhile trip.

My Steed
44358973.jpg

83024110.jpg

McSpafter's Capo
56115565.jpg

85401863.jpg

BullWai's KLR (Now known as The KLR  ;D )
30665177.jpg

83332900.jpg

Looks like you guys had a good time. Pity McS broke down, but glad it was not serious.
Note to self: Remember to check the tank breather!

cool, we want to do a ride in that direction do you have some directions to stay off the tar and the contact info for the tentcamp please.

Nice ride report

There ya go Beltzer. Very nice, well equiped place.
https://www.melotivalley.co.za/

Have a look here for some responses from madmike, etc when we planned the ride - https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=51192.0

Where did Bullwai get his touring screen for the KLR? Very nice trip, looks like you all had a lekker kuier at the camp :p