Riding the Gautrain

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After following the service road, I got up onto the actual track near the Samrand area. The bridge over the Samrand road is *very* high

Memo 1 to self - must replace number plate that has gone missing.
Memo 2 to self - must replace worn rear tire

Attachments

• gautrain s011.jpg
    gautrain s011.jpg
    194.2 KB
  • gautrain s013.jpg
    gautrain s013.jpg
    166.3 KB
  • gautrain s015.jpg
    gautrain s015.jpg
    229.9 KB
  • gautrain s017.jpg
    gautrain s017.jpg
    189.3 KB
  • gautrain s010.jpg
    gautrain s010.jpg
    214.2 KB
Further toward Glen Austin, the *huge* bridge that crosses the valley - not sure what the effect of the constrction work and related access problems may ave been on trade at "Teazers" ....
Last pic riding toward the Midrand Station - note the overhead power girders in place, and the storm building over JHB.

Attachments

• gautrain s024.jpg
    gautrain s024.jpg
    100.1 KB
  • gautrain s028.jpg
    gautrain s028.jpg
    172.4 KB
  • gautrain s022.jpg
    gautrain s022.jpg
    250.2 KB
  • gautrain s020.jpg
    gautrain s020.jpg
    191.8 KB
  • gautrain s019.jpg
    gautrain s019.jpg
    173.6 KB
Last batch of pics fo this section, through Midrand and looking onward towards Sandton. The huge curved bridge over Allandale is some pretty neat engineering. I've heard that the large wharehouse is destined to be the rolling stock workshop ..?? In the distance toward Sandton is the cement casting facility where the pre-cast bridge sections are made.

Any volunteers to take up the challenge for the next section of the Gautrain route?

Attachments

• gautrain s029.jpg
    gautrain s029.jpg
    190.5 KB
  • gautrain s035.jpg
    gautrain s035.jpg
    235.2 KB
  • gautrain s036.jpg
    gautrain s036.jpg
    251.6 KB
  • gautrain s037.jpg
    gautrain s037.jpg
    188.5 KB
  • gautrain s038.jpg
    gautrain s038.jpg
    241 KB
Just realised that I mentioned the precast facility, but didn't include the pic!

Here it is, with the challenge to ride and document the rest of the Gautrain route - any takers??

Attachments

• gautrain s042.jpg
    gautrain s042.jpg
    236.7 KB
Lekker Leon dis nou 'n ander tipe ride report.... ek mis julle Gauteng mense... ek kom kuier sommer

Apparently those big cement blocks are to check for sink holes.The one place in Centurion near the stadium they were piled up for months.Each one weighs a couple of tons and they had hundreds stacked up so I guess the idea is if they don't fall down a big hole then it is safe to build the huge cement support structure there.

Great stuff trackSHUN, I didn't even know that parts of the line already had tracks. Thanks for taking the RR a bit further.

Shark, is the next part of this group effort ride report going to feature a BWS?  :biggrin:

Thanks Trackshun for the extra part, what an engineering masterpiece. About time SA address the transport issues! Hope it will be up and running during the FIFA WC.

LeonDude said:
The last photie is another crossing, but check out the size of those concrete blocks. I still don't know what they are used for.

I believe they pile them up to overload the area where the pillar will be - in case it has dodgy foundation conditions (e.g. dolomite, sinkholes)  8)

Fudmucker said:
LeonDude said:
The last photie is another crossing, but check out the size of those concrete blocks. I still don't know what they are used for.

I believe they pile them up to overload the area where the pillar will be - in case it has dodgy foundation conditions (e.g. dolomite, sinkholes)   8)

Thanks make sense.  :)