Route JHB-CT-PTA ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypsybaron

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
Hi, I'm taking a Quantum down to Capetown tomorrow, then riding my GS back.

Last time I was in CT, it didn't even have a tarred runway at the airport and you had to use pack mules or oxwagons to get your produce to the sailors in the harbour :mwink:

Now, I do not know where to find a resting place for myself and a nice, cosy bed, free from rats, lice and other vermin for my trusty steed for tomorrow night, nor do I know which route I'll take back north, I do not know where I'll find inns that can accommodate us on our way back either. Any suggestions?

I need to be back in Pretoria on 8 January at the latest, as I stated my return route is flexible. I would, however, prefer to do mostly hard-packed, sealed routes, some sand would be fine but it's not high on the priority list now. Being a lone ranger with no relief horses along the way, I'll have to keep him happy with 400-500 km daily trips and then I still would like to stop and take in some of the scenery and capture some of it on my modern day canvas. The culture will have to be packed away in my saddlebags, I do not feel the wish to be "entertained" by our highway robbers if they get a whiff of it on my breath....

I'll refer back to this thread by hand-held device, it's too cumbersome to take the whole bureau on Moses's back. The road will be bumpy, and some parts of it might just shake loose or worse, crack, and render it unusable, except for firewood (and at this, it sucks!) So, I would like concise instructions and suggestions, contact details also if possible. I'm a working man, not part of the elite that own or runs the country and its industries, but believe fair accommodation warrants fair recompense.

Should the route warrant it, feedback will gladly been given.  :ricky:

Latest posts