Ryder Motorrad X-Challenge Ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGB

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Ryder Motorrad in Hillcrest invited 10 riders for a Saturday morning outing into the Valley of 1000 Hills.  These 10 bikes were made available by BMW SA, and Roger used the opportunity to show them off and allow some local riders to have some fun at the same time.

We gathered at Ryder Motorrad at 7am.  Each one of us picked a machine and did a quick check of the basics like tyre pressure and rear shock pressure.

IMG_0743.jpg

Shared some stories before departure.....  Good to see some old friends again.
IMG_0744.jpg

Pumping the shock - needs a little more pressure for me....
IMG_0745.jpg

All ready to go
IMG_0746.jpg

Bud Turner lead the way and we took a casual ride down the hill at Wyebank, dropped into the valley and past Inanada dam where we stopped for some pictures.
IMG_0748.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

We stuck to the gravel roads, and made a stop here and there to look at the single tracks with "real" rocks and hills - the tracks that make the valley famous for plastic bike riding.

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

Shall we head down here?   :eek:  Roger did not think it was a good idea.....  ;D
IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

Stopped for breakfast at the Isithumba Community Adventure Tourism Village.  This is a good spot for accommodation, right in the centre of all the valley riding, with comfortable and secure accommodation for 16 people.
IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

The ride continued from here along familiar tracks, back towards Hillcrest.  Always a good ride and it was great to just be out there.  Rode some roads, sandy river beds with water crossings, railway service roads.  Good KZN Valley scenery.  8)

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

Fueled up the bikes in Hillcrest, did 124 km and used about 6 litres.  Good consumption for the riding we did.

IMG_0774.jpg

Back at the shop, parked the bikes - exchanged some stories before we left at about lunch time.

IMG_0776.jpg

The verdict:

At R 73k, the X-Challenge is a serious contender.   Very good choice for the type of riding we did, and an ideal bike for someone looking for an economical commuter, which will do some touring and suitable for good weekend fun.  Not the first choice for a 1000 km ride, but quite suitable for a few 100 km's.  The air suspension does the job, but needs to be set up correctly.  I would rather have a an off-road tyre, but if commuting is the main purpose, the DS tyres are OK.  On the gravel / sand they did let go a bit too easily however.   :eek:

Great job Roger, thanks for the invite - I really enjoyed the ride!  Ryder Motorrad is really there for the rider, support them!

Sweet I really enjoy that X challenge it great, trying to convince my girlfriend that its the right bike for her

I chatted to Bud on friday and i got some pics out of him from there Namibia ,Angola ,trip
:thumleft:

Those are sweet bikes.

Would LOVE to have one to keep the 1200 company.

The bikes we rode are now for sale at Ryder Motorrad:

"We were quite lucky to be able to pick those bikes up that you rode at a bit of a bargain. The bikes are now available at R65 300.00. That is R12 000 odd off the standard retail. Last years model is on the market for the same price. At this price it should mean 2 years of really cheap biking. Four are already taken, there are 5 left.

Some approximate figures:

Deposit: R6 500.00

Period: 54 months                     

Prime interest rate                                                       

Monthly instalment: R1519.00

0r 60 months at R1 414.00 per month.

A rough estimate of the insurance premium at replacement value, would be R450 pm.

As you know the bikes are still new, 700km on the clock, at the most. I will give you the first service at 1000kmâ??s and check up for free as well as free licence and registration, a further saving of about R2000.00."

Contact Ryder Motorrad if you need to.