Sand riding learning curve Parklands

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pleco

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Hello There.

We had lots of fun at Parklands again on Sunday morning. We had 3 first timers, and after an hour of pointers and practicing, all 3 of them could help themselves, and can now go and practice on their own, to get smoother.

We tagged some reports onto the trip plan: https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=65691.0

Hopefully Blaauw can add some clips and frame grabs.

Here are a few VidCaps from the helmet cam, no commentry:

Attachments

• SandGeneral.jpg
    SandGeneral.jpg
    108.1 KB
  • SandGeneral_a.jpg
    SandGeneral_a.jpg
    102.9 KB
  • SandGeneral_b.jpg
    SandGeneral_b.jpg
    102.4 KB
  • SandGeneral_c.jpg
    SandGeneral_c.jpg
    105.5 KB
  • SandGeneral_d.jpg
    SandGeneral_d.jpg
    96.1 KB
Second set:

Attachments

• SandGeneral_e.jpg
    SandGeneral_e.jpg
    114.2 KB
  • 1stFall.jpg
    1stFall.jpg
    94.5 KB
  • Pleco1.jpg
    Pleco1.jpg
    110 KB
  • SandGeneral 1.jpg
    SandGeneral 1.jpg
    113.4 KB
  • SandGeneral 2.jpg
    SandGeneral 2.jpg
    115.1 KB
Hi Pleco
I did have a look and its not too obvious. I think the wide angle lens on the cam makes it a bit difficult to see. will try and have a closer look, perhaps frame for frame..
How do you attach videos, I converted to AVI (DIVX) but can produce almost any format.

You need to upload to you tube, and then post the link.

There is a way to embed the youtube vid. Archangel and Buzz Light year will be able to help.

I will have to try do that from home sometime, we have YouTube blocked by our firewall here at work, very annoying, cant see the vids posted by others either.  :mad:

Use a proxy site.

Oops, I did not say that.

Ur supposed to work, not watch vids.  :lamer:

:thumleft:

I spend far too much time lurking on this forum as it is  ;D

There were only 2 very short sections that I was going to put on (the rest is me picking up my bike  :D ), will see if i can work it out when I get time.

I told you that you fell more than 5 times  :imaposer:

Just as a note to any newbs that are worried about falling in the sand, did you damage anything on the bike or did you get hurt at all in any of the falls?

Sorry for the late reply, only saw this now. No I was'nt hurt at all, the sand is soft and the speeds are not high. I did get a boot stuck under the panier bracet on one of the falls but the sand is soft and no damage (besides the ego). I havent had a chance to have a good look at the plastics yet but from the cursory glance I gave the bike it all seems to be without blemish  :)
That said, I do have crash bars over the plastics and the panier brackets do protect the back of the bike to some extent.

blaauw said:
Sorry for the late reply, only saw this now. No I was'nt hurt at all, the sand is soft and the speeds are not high. I did get a boot stuck under the panier bracet on one of the falls but the sand is soft and no damage (besides the ego). I havent had a chance to have a good look at the plastics yet but from the cursory glance I gave the bike it all seems to be without blemish  :)
That said, I do have crash bars over the plastics and the panier brackets do protect the back of the bike to some extent.

The only absolute of riding a bike, is that you will fall. The best place to practice falling would be in the sand.

So come along, and do it under "controlled" conditions.

Pleco said:
blaauw said:

The only absolute of riding a bike, is that you will fall. The best place to practice falling would be in the sand.

So come along, and do it under "controlled" conditions.

Hang af hoe die Leeus speel maar ek en 'n ander pel behoort daar te wees.

Ek gaan baie val, baie baie baie val....

OK, open question here.

Should practicing sand riding include slow technical stuff, or does this not exist in the real world out there?

I ask, as the BMW advanced sand course spend a lot of time on slow balancing riding in the sand.

This gets me back to being able to get through sand, or being able to ride in it.

The Parklands stretch is perfect for teaching people to get through sand. But I have seen the Whoops side tracks claim quite a few egos afterwards. (mine included  :biggrin:) This is because you cannot get up to speed and float over the sand. The slow riding comes to the resque.

But it seems the Whoops are quite unique to Parklands. I have not seen this as bad anywhere else.

You guys must come ride Macassar on eday.
Some lekker whoops on the loop  ;D

Janee moer...

I think Macassar and Parklands are the whoop mecca's in the WC...

And dont forget the enduro loop at Atlantis

Fkn whoops... Thats the only thing that I am still not any good at...