Scott steering damper install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I just finished installing a Scott steering damper and triple clamp on my bike. The instructions were quite clear about securing the forks with tie downs/ropes to something above the bike so that they don't come off the bike once you undo the steering stem nut.

Despite my best efforts, it did slide out of the steering head slightly, about a centimeter I would guess. The black seal just below the bottom bearings was clearly visible. My neighbor helped me push the forks/steering stem back "into" the steering head after which I tightened the steering nut. After that I tightened all the pinch bolts.

With the stock setup the silver bit on top of the fork was flush with the stock triple clamp. Now the forks protrude about 5mm or so above the new triple clamp. I'm too stupid to figure out how to get them flush with the triple clamp?

If I loosen the pinch bolts and the steering nut I can get them flush (by sliding the triple clamp up) but as soon as I tighten the steering nut (enough so that the fork assembly doesn't wobble inside the steering stem) it "pulls" the triple clamp down again with the same +/- 5 mm appearing (so not flush)?

Just want to make sure I'd done it all correctly...

Attachments

• photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    323.7 KB · Views: 156