Shame on you, Motorcyclist magazine!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Baldy

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
If you guys remember the huge controversy that the 2005 article by Motorcyclist magazine printed on the US Snell 2005 helmet standards problem....well there was a major fallout at the magazine due to the loss of advertising revenue from that article and a more recent article that the same journalist, Dexter Ford, wrote in the New York Times....to the point that the editor of Motorcyclist fired Ford to save his own job when the advertisers placed pressure on the magazine owners.

Back to the present.......

I just read the whole article on Hell for Leather magazine, and am so pissed at Catterson and Motorcyclist, that I sent them this note....

"Mr Catterson

I have just read the expose article at Hell for Leather magazine https://hellforleathermagazine.com/2010/07/leaked-docs-show-motorcyclist.html related to your firing of Dexter Ford from the Motorcyclist staff due to your concern about you losing your job due to the potential reduced advertising revenues resulting from his expose of the Snell 2005 helmet testing regimen and the followup NYT article.

Well, sir, your apparent lack of backbone and fortitude to look after your contributing editor is shocking and disappointing to me, as much as your unwillingness to uphold what you seemingly believed was honest and factual reporting content by Mr Ford.

I have no need whatsoever to read a magazine which is clearly only willing to publish advertorials and to not publish any articles or tests critical of  products as this may affect your advertising revenues.

Please cancel my subscription to Motorcyclist immediately, and send any balance owed to Mr Ford, who deserved much, much better than this.

Yours,
Barry Timm
South Lyon, MI

If nothing else, it makes me feel better!