Shelf life and Age of Helmet – Safety Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeonDude

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
I ride with two different helmets, a traditional road – helmet style and recently I bought an open face Shark helmet.

I have often heard that I should not use a helmet for more than 5 years, because then a helmet has had its life and does not give protection anymore. I can believe that, after just a few years my helmets go to tatters in any case, I’ve already dumped one in the bin.

But now people are telling me that a helmet has a shelf life. According to them, if a helmet has been on the shelf for 5 years, then the helmet is past its use – by date and should not be used anymore.

Now firstly, I don’t have any way of telling how long my helmets have been on the rack. My road helmet does have some numbering on it, but I’m not at all sure if the 05 does actually mean it was manufactured in 2005. It could mean anything.
As for the Shark, it doesn’t have any kind of numbering. It’s just got a model number, it’s an MX200. The same people that told me that a helmet has got a shelf – life also told me it’s highly illegal to sell a helmet without a serial number. Anyways, I bought the Shark on an end – of – range special, so I’m quite chuffed with how much I paid for it.

Still, I would like to know the answer to the question – does a helmets life begin the moment it comes off the production line or when the user starts to wear it?