Short trips for short people (Completed)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwerg

Born head first and brought up ankle deep
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
Panning the ride with roughly the routes taken: https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=96555

So with everything planned and booked, I was suddenly struck with the worst flu I’ve had in years and almost had to cancel the whole trip. Thankfully, largely due to meds, when the scheduled day of departure arrived, I started feeling a bit better and decided to leave the following day. This of course meant that I would have to do some serious miles as a 2 day ride down suddenly had to be done in one day. The wifey also informed me that I had to be back in time for a birthday party so I had to cut one day off the end of the trip and had to do another 2 days planned riding in 1 day. Not to worry. Have bike, will ride  :deal:

Prep day, Thursday 26 April

With the bike packed and riding gear laid out, a serious case of nerves struck me. As a result of this combined with the flu, it would also be the last time I had a solid bowel movement for the next 5 days. I now know first hand why Carrots gave me that emergency mini bog roll to pack in my tank bag. Good call Rootsie. You probably saved me from having to chuck a pair of socks  :thumleft:

Of course, being my first trip, I was not 100% prepared as I would later find out.

I hardly had any sleep that night and was up at 3:30 the next morning, shaking with anticipation.

Pics and full report to follow tomorrow

:thumleft:......sien uit na die trip verslag!!!

SuperDave said:
Lekker Dwerg...ek sien ook uit!   ;D ;D ;D

Carrots said:
:thumleft:......sien uit na die trip verslag!!!

Ek moet nou net die hele foto emertjie ding uit figure vanaand  ;D

Jis ek begin net lekker lees en dan is dit to be continued... :dousing:

Ek wag in spanning, klink goed.

Day 1, PTA-Underberg.

Total distance covered: +- 800km.

All packed and ready to roll at 5am.

DSC01548s.jpg

Not sure what my GPS was up to but I somehow did back roads all the way from PTA to Vereeniging. The highway would’ve been the better option because it was still dark and riding was either slow or scary as shit. I went for the latter because I had no option but to cover the mileage as fast as possible. From Vereeniging it was onto Heilbron and Petrus Stein. By now the sun was rising and my mood lit up with the skies. From Petrus Stein I rode towards Reitz and came across this sign:

DSC01551s.jpg

Turning onto the first dirt about 10km before Reitz, I headed towards to Bethlehem.

DSC01554s.jpg

DSC01556s.jpg

DSC01557s.jpg

From Bethlehem it was tar all the way to Clarens. View towards Clarens.

DSC01559s.jpg

I arrived in a wet Clarens at about 8:20 and stopped for a expensive but nice breakfast. 50 bucks for a toasted bacon and cheese

DSC01560s.jpg

From there I went through Golden Gate and past Sterkfontein dam towards Woodstock dam. It’s the first time I can remember going though Golden Gate. The scenery was spectacular even in the rainy, misty conditions. The wind was also pumping all the way from Golden gate to just before Underberg and passing Sterkfontein dam, it almost looked like a rough day in False Bay.

DSC01561s.jpg

DSC01562s.jpg

DSC01563s.jpg

There were also lots of stop and go roadworks but that’s only a problem for people in cars. The temperature was climbing so I pulled over at a farm stall to remove the winter linings from my kit. As I was busy with this, my tummy started rumbling and I had to make a dash for the bathroom. As I relieved myself and wiped the sweat from my brow, I went for toilet paper and there were 2 blocks left on the roll. Luckily I took my tank bag with me because it had all my valuables and of course the emergency mini toilet roll.

When I emerged suddenly very light footed, the farmer stopped to ask if I was ok. We got talking and he suggested I take the Woodstock mountain road round the back of Woodstock dam and go over the banana bridge. It was initially part of the plan but I somehow missed the turnoff. I backtracked and found the right road but it was disappointing to be honest and being a bit of a detour, I’d give it a miss if I was ever in the area again. View towards the dam

DSC01566s.jpg

After that it was tar to Bergville and onto the secondary roads in the direction of Loskop. Though Loskop, I started weaving my way up the mountains.

From here it constantly felt like I was completely lost. I actually had to backtrack twice. With all the hills and mountains in the area, mid day sun, twisting and turning roads and my hate hate relationship with my GPS, it became increasingly difficult to keep track with my already shitty sense of direction. I did follow the route roughly as per my planning a ride thread though. The roads were a fantastic mix of passes that were either tight, twisty and bumpy tar, or gravel. I am by no means a dirt purist and the tar sections in this area, all the way to where you join the road that heads back to Mooi Rivier were fantastic fun. They’re kind of passes where you either want to do on a DS or a motard.

DSC01575s.jpg

DSC01592s.jpg

DSC01582s.jpg

DSC01581s.jpg

Wind still howling

DSC01585s.jpg

Wild horses

DSC01586s.jpg

Trying to figure out where I am. Did I mention my hate relationship with the GPS?

DSC01569s.jpg

Rider still feeling OK

DSC01590s.jpg

This was one of the roads where I had to backtrack. I noticed early on that I was going in the wrong direction but it was so much fun that I kept going on it for a while before turning back.

DSC01594s.jpg

From Loskop all the way down to Himeville, the riding was just spectacular. All gravel, hills as far as the eye can see and not a soul in sight. Bliss.

DSC01576s.jpg

DSC01593s.jpg

DSC01589s.jpg

DSC01595s.jpg

DSC01596s.jpg

DSC01597s.jpg

I eventually arrived in Underberg somewhere around 16:00, knackered but completely blown away. I spent the evening in the pub, largely keeping to myself and reflecting on the day that I had, trying to process it all. I was already in awe. The accommodation was politely put, modest, but hey it was cheap.

DSC01598s.jpg

Hey Dwergie.....vir 'n virgin RR doen jy bleddie goed. I laaaik.....velly velly naaais........gooi nog!!!  :thumleft:

Day 2 – Sani, Underberg to Port Shepstone

Distance Covered: Roughly 400km.

Waking up at around 4, disturbing other guests with my constant coughing and before mentioned bowel movements in the communal toilet (they didn’t have any en suites left), I was anxious to get the day started. Looking at my map book, it stated that the border only opens at 8am! I got back in bed for a while but then decided to get packed and go for a ride through town.

Early morning in Himeville.

DSC01599a.jpg

After filling up, cruising around a bit and stopping to smoke a dube, I headed for Sani. Again I loved the tar section on the way there.

Some donkeys.

DSC01603s.jpg

SA border was done in about 2 minutes. At first the riding was superb and just breathtaking but it got increasingly difficult the further up I went.

DSC01605s.jpg

DSC01606s.jpg

DSC01617s.jpg

The bike was blown over by the wind while I walked down the path to take this photo.

DSC01615s.jpg

There were a few bikers of varying ability in front of me and I had to stop in sections, waiting for them to finish paddling a rocky climb before I could get going again and maintain some momentum, only to reach the next tricky bit and having to do the same. At one particularly tricky section (the one where all the recent reports showed the bikes on their sides), I had to stop for the other bikers again. As I came to a stop, I paid more attention to the other riders than getting my footing right and I dropped the bike.The result was this broken lever.

DSC01618s.jpg

Section mentioned plus a snap of yours truly. Not sure how that got in there

DSC01620s.jpg

DSC01619s.jpg

I had a spare with me but, as luck (lack of planning) would have it, not the right size spanner to remove the broken one. As I stood there watching three people trying to push a 640A up the hill with great effort, it was decision time. Either carry on to the top with a broken gear lever at and risk of damaging my bike further while being even more delayed by the guys in front of me, or turn back and go look for a bike shop before they closed so I could replace my gear lever and at least keep to my planned route for the rest of the day. I decided that Sani top will have to wait for another day and headed for the Yamaha shop in Himeville. They helped me with a spanner but this only lead me to find out that the bolt had been mounted from the wrong side, thus being blocked by the foot peg from coming out completely. By now I was out of spliffs (because of, like, too much stopping to admire scenery and stuff, dude), and hence also out of patience and decided to ride with half a lever for the rest of the trip. I headed for late breakfast back at Underberg inn, this time a massive 50 rand breakfast and I was back on the road at about 12 o’clock.

Now, I am not quite sure what route I took from there but I went east out of Underberg on the R617, turned onto the dirt towards Coleford, winding all the way down to Umzimkulu and onto tar at the R56. This section was the highlight of the trip for me. It was about 2.5 hours of superbly maintained mountain roads winding through little remote villages, people and even animals staring at you as you go by. Some waving, some just dumbfounded at the sight of this whitey traveller, some absolutely delighted at the sight of something other than livestock.

Photos of the Coleford area

DSC01621s.jpg

DSC01623s.jpg

DSC01624s.jpg

DSC01626s.jpg

DSC01627s.jpg

The going was very slow because of all the people and animals around but I liked it that way. It gave me a time to absorb everything around me. What struck me most is how far these people are removed from what we would call civilisation. Not just that but also how content they seem in these beautiful surroundings, living their humble lives. If I ever come back to the region I’d love to spend time talking to the people, finding out more about their daily lives, maybe even staying over in a village.

DSC01631s.jpg

DSC01632s.jpg

DSC01634s.jpg

DSC01635s.jpg

DSC01636s.jpg

DSC01637s.jpg

DSC01638s.jpg

DSC01639s.jpg

DSC01642s.jpg

DSC01643s.jpg

DSC01644s.jpg

DSC01645s.jpg

I stopped and had a quick chat with this guy. He had about 5 or 6 dogs and another little kid with him. Not sure what animal he is holding and someone will probably come in and say that it’s endangered. At this point I didn’t really care. The guy said he caught it that morning and that he was going to use the skin to make himself a hat. I thought it was fantastic and wished him well. I am guessing he will not prematurely die of a heart attack like us city dwellers.

DSC01633s.jpg

One thing that I learned on this section is that it’s not the people, cows, goats or sheep that you have to look out for, it’s the geese! Those things are fucking mental. They will see you coming, then pretend to move out of the way, only to head straight for you at the last second, making one hell of a racket and flapping their wings all over the place. I almost had an off in front of a crowd of people grabbing too much front because of one of these fuckers. What’s worse is I am sure he was taunting me through the entire episode.

“Kaaa kaaa kaaa….krrrrry vir jou p0es!!” he seemed to say.

Anyway, from the R56 it was a short hop on dirt to the N2 and took that all the way into Port Shepstone. My accommodation for the night was at the surprisingly pleasant, albeit slightly pricey, The Spot Backpackers. I had a little log cabin with on suite all to myself.
The room and the view from the stoepie.

DSC01646s.jpg

DSC01647s.jpg

That evening I cruised through to Margate to go check out the bike week. It was just a mass of people and decided to rather head back to Port Shepstone and go have supper and a few beers somewhere close to the backpackers. I found a nice fish place,  had a nice platter and way too many Jagermeisters and met a nice couple and spent the rest of the night chatting to them. They were down for bike week on a DL1000.

DSC01648s.jpg

When I got back to the backpackers, there were a few teenagers making one hell of a noise with their trance music and laughing and general happiness and fondness of life. How dare they rub their youthful exuberance in my face like that? A few more Jagers and Savannas had me sleeping soundly in no time though.

Large spotted genet I think is the fluffy little animal hat.

Day 3 – Bike Week Sunday

Distance covered: Irrelevant but about 150km.

Today was the bike week rest day. I was up early and took a stroll on the beach. It was actually pretty filthy and covered with litter. It seems they are doing their best to keep the place tidy by putting up signs.

DSC01656s.jpg

DSC01657s.jpg

DSC01658s.jpg

DSC01664s.jpg

After that I decided to ride south in search of a decent place to have breakfast. By the time I got to Port Edward I gave up.

DSC01668s.jpg

Luckily just then Pistol got hold of me and told me to meet them in Margate for breakfast beers. I was in desperate need of a ‘regmaker’ and raced back to Margate. Peter (Pistol), Raymond and Andrew (I think) had the right idea with their scoots.

DSC01670s.jpg

The beers were good but this is what they served me for breakfast. Can you guess how mouch it cost? Yep 50 bucks again. Fucking rip-off

DSC01669s.jpg

We sat and watched the parade of bikes come through and got in a spot of bird watching too.

DSC01673s.jpg

DSC01680s.jpg

After that it was off to the Jack Daniels tent. Saw this guy there who is apparently a biking legend. Him and his dog kept going for rides on Pete and Rainman’s Vespas (I had to picture the movie to remember Raymond's name. Plus by this time he was getting pissed and sounded ‘special’).

DSC01682s.jpg

DSC01686s.jpg

DSC01688s.jpg

Pistol doing a bit of photo bombing

DSC01685s.jpg

After we were suitably lubricated, I headed back to the backpackers where a nice game of garden cricket broke out. I was probably in bed and sound asleep by 6.

Pistol said:
Lekker Dwerg, but I fear the next day has a few beers involved!!!!!

I decided not to use the pic where you had your pants down  >:D