Sierra Ranch - Alfie Cox DS Festival

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGB

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
A bit of thinking resulted in a plan to attend the AMID show and do some work with Alfie for the DS festival.

So Alfie, John (of Gear-up fame), Shaun (AC racing) and I left early in the morning on Friday, to go see what's at the show. Our pilot is a well known rally driver, so the trip was as fast as traffic allowed..... :shock:

Had a look around there, lots of good stuff to see, but nothing really earth shattering. The new KTM plastic bikes were nice and of course the 690 rally. Also bumped into some other well known folk.
We did some promo for the DS festival and left a couple of posters with some of the important people. Bruce was in Jhb and we met him at the show - thanks for the help Mr Bruce!

Some of the pics I took there are here: https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236594&postcount=1

We left again late afternoon and headed back towards Mooirivier, where we slept over at Sierra Ranch. The ladies and kids joined us early on Saturday morning, they towed our bikes to the venue. We teamed up there with some local farmers, and they showed us around their Kingdom. What a great area for all types of DS riding - anything from smooth gravel roads to real WFO stuff. For the DS festival, we are trying to keep the routes very easy but pleasant and pillion friendly to ride, and then also offer a bit of a challenge (rated in "Chillies") en route (optional to ride these) for those who want to test the "system" a bit. But no bike breaking stuff!

Jun032.jpg

Any DS bike is welcome!

Jun027.jpg

Smooth gravel

Jun025.jpg

Bit more technical

We also visited Imbabala lodge where we teamed up with Alan (owner) and Roger Scheffer (KZN BMW Offroad Instructor), resulting in some more great riding opportunity. All I can say is that some of the very best riding for our bikes is being stringed together, covering the very best the Midlands can offer. Will be a memorable event. We also did some filming with the 2 Wheels camera man. Dave Petersen has kindly offered to do a bit of promo for the event on 2 Wheels. We have a great team working on the event - and the support from all over is amazing.

The kids had a great time playing at Sierra Ranch too. Here's my boy and Brad Cox after some playing at the MX track.

Jun037.jpg

And our route marking equipment worked very well too - super fun riding weekend! Thanks to Alfie, John, Bruce and all the families for a MOOI weekend.

Jun044.jpg

Jun042.jpg

Pity we had to load the bikes, but we were too softie to ride them to the AMID and back to Mooirivier on Friday..... :)

Book your place - space is running out. 8) :wink:

AlfieKTMFestA5.jpg

Alfie could have checked the racing calendar.

15th Sept, Champagne Valley WFO. And as this is the one closest to JHB a bunch of okes will do it.

shark_za said:
Alfie could have checked the racing calendar.

15th Sept, Champagne Valley WFO. And as this is the one closest to JHB a bunch of okes will do it.

You are right Shark - but finding a date that suits Alfie's own racing and the venue and most riders is a bit of a challenge. Unfortunately the WFO came onto the calendar a bit late too. The good part is that every rider stands a chance to win at this event, and you can bring a pillion! :)

I see LITO now lives on the other forum.... :shock:

Come back ol chap, all is forgiven!!!

Alfie has been around for years... but what has happened to the likes of Roland Geiger and Chris Brand (who I bought my KTM off)?