sillystunt`s springs mine dump sorte`

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sillystunt

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
thanks to the eight guys that pitched.all on big bm`s and two of us on daks.
it turned out to be a brilliant ride,mainly in search of soft stuff in prep for the gs challenge.
to cut a long write up short i will tell you about the mother of all mine dumps that we came across.
i kid you not it was like riding onto the set of "CRUSTY DEMONS SPRINGS" I have never seen anything like it.it was like a friggin mountain! there were quads,generic bikes everywhere,and some dudes trying to summit the biggest hill climb that i have ever seen.
on the left hand side of the dump there were guys sand ski ing! after a while i attemted two massive climbs,unbelievably my dak got up both.the second one i followed a dude up on a yzf 450,when we reached the summit he turned around spotted me,his eyes went the size of a staffies testicles.
i said howzit,and told him its a bit tricky with this rear STREET tyre! he almost messed in his back pack!
of course the trip wasnt without mis adventure,vonkprop has to post the pic,i cannot out of respect tell you what happened or post a pic,we will have to wait for him.
i have a small pic and video of the mine dump so you can get an idea of the sheer size of it.i will ask shark or someone to post it for me.
keep the rubber side down.
sillystunt

Thanks to sillystunt for a great ride and loads of sand riding experience.

Unfortunatey I only have a cellphone  pic of Staalvarkie (SV) going mining so I'll just describe the experience.
We were riding through a twisty section, fairly close to each other (mistake), I was riding +-  5th ,when all of a sudden we hit this fine white sandy patch.
Now this stuff makes Johnsons baby look quite abrasive by comparison.
Before I can even calculate my options the visibility is so bad I can hardly see a bike length in front of me.
I can't stop as that will surely deck me and there are possibly guys on my tail.
So I do the expected thing and keep on opening up....after all Staalvarkie is  a Beemer. ;)
What I don't have on my handlebars/helmet is night vision radar and before I know it the pig goes down, with me flying over the handlebars.
I jump to my feet completely unhurt ( my fitness training program includes bench pressing Rottweilers for a living  ;D) and I start looking for my bike !
If any of the other guys fortunate to witness this episode have a pic they can post please do so . I can handle it  :-[
A GNF (General Navigation Failure, not described in the manual)had caused SV to leave the road and ride straight into this long trench eventually stopping perfectly upright with the front half of the bike buried at a 45 degree angle ,the sides of the trench supporting the tappet covers.
It took  five of us to retrieve the pig from its abortive strip mining attempt !

Damage to bike: Small break in front beak , already mended with epoxy (Obviously not meant to be used as front end loader.)
A few minor scuffs on plastic , helps add character to the bike. ;D
Damage to me : Back a bit stiff but that could be due to multiple recoveries of SV from mine dump playpen  ;D

All in all lots of laughs and no real damage. I'm grateful for that as we all know it could have been a sad story.

PS. Sillystunt . Please remember to specify a NVV (Night Vision Visor) when recruiting for a mine dump ride ;)
I'll start a Web search for one as soon as this is posted.........

Attachments

• are you allright!.jpg
    are you allright!.jpg
    82.9 KB
  • vonkprop phones a friend.jpg
    vonkprop phones a friend.jpg
    94 KB
  • power rangers to the rescue.jpg
    power rangers to the rescue.jpg
    93.6 KB
  • is my back dusty.jpg
    is my back dusty.jpg
    83.7 KB
Typical WildDog guys, first the pics then the help........ ;D ;D

Eish!

Now I can understand the flying you did! :eek:

One of the many reasons I will never do a Desert Run again is just what you described. On the technical routes, you are lucky not to go down. The dust is everywhere.

Adventurer said:
Typical WildDog guys, first the pics then the help........ ;D ;D

First the pics, laughing & pointing and then the help........  ;) ;D

Where are these dumps? I spent plenty time riding the dumps in Benoni and Springs... Anyone try ride up the "Widowmaker" at Benoni dump by the lake?

Seems like Vonkprop is getting somewhat of a reputation for having a bike that needs to 'sleep' every now and then....... ;D ;D
Peaches empathises... ;D ;D

Latest posts