Simons Town - Ou Kaapse Weg

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topbox

Race Dog
Reaction score
After the plans being cancelled the last two weekends, Adrian from Yamaha called yesterdy to say the Simons Town trip was on. Meeting point Claremont, Shell garage Paradise motors.
I expected it to be technical but instead of arriving on Thumper to my own surprise I pitched up with the pig.
CIMG6576.jpg

A beautiful Cape winters day, could be mistaken for thinking it was Durban. Only the big hill in the background gave it away.
Adrian had the TTR for the weekend,
CIMG6577.jpg

Then off to Plumstead we met Shaun on the KLE and then literally flew over ou kaapse weg. A bit hair raising with the Maxxis plastics, but no harm done.

The planned path now featured a new paved walkway and a no motorcycle sign. No passing begin! We then chose a new route. Adrian and i ducked off to the left over what could best be described as a goat track. It turned out to be muddy, almost hub deep. Looking at my feet you would have been forgiven if you mistook me for a low flying albatross. A water crossing cleaned the bikes beautifuly. Sean wisely took the civilised route and met us at the entry to the next path.
We bounded off on some single and some jeep tracks mostly soft sea sand. Difficult to believe because we were on a vertical cliff above the sea. Soft sand, steering at either 10am or 2pm and a good handful of right rand.
CIMG6578.jpg

CIMG6583.jpg

Adrian:  Simons Town in the background. The pic doesnt really quite show the elevation. I really should have taken more pics.
CIMG6584.jpg

Simons Town and the Naval Base
CIMG6587.jpg

CIMG6580.jpg

CIMG6581-1.jpg

We headed down to the coastal road. A series of steep concrete switchbacks, best enjoyed on somebody elses supermotard. We passed a number of underground World War bunkers, which Adrian says are open to wander around, take a torch. Stopped for coffee. Scorp and a few of the Thinkbike guys passed by without seeing us headed towards cape point.

After coffee and kak praat, i headed home on the M3. Adrian and Shaun did the same via Dido valley.

Very cool !

Where in Ou Kaapse weg do you turn off to get to the place where the Simons' town photo was taken ?

Geez. EVERYBODY went trail riding this weekend!  ;D

Nice bike!

CIMG6583.jpg

Trailrider said:
Geez. EVERYBODY went trail riding this weekend!  ;D

This weekend Capetown saw the most awesome weather in a long time.
Someone who wasn't on his bike this weekend had a)family commitments or other plans that you couldn't get out of b) had to do work c) don't have a bike or d) who has a bike, but its broken.

There's no other option...

well the last two weekens did'nt work out. Then Adrian calls and it's like " Dude please not this weekend !. I am away for the whole of next weekend. This weekend is quality time" Luckily I got time off, now I must go fix that shelf I promised to repair............

topbox said:
well the last two weekens did'nt work out. Then Adrian calls and it's like " Dude please not this weekend !. I am away for the whole of next weekend. This weekend is quality time" Luckily I got time off, now I must go fix that shelf I promised to repair............

Hahahahaha !

Makes me think of the movie 'Devil's advocate' - Keanu looks at Al and Al asks: Are we negotiating ?
Keanu looks back and says: 'Always'

:D

topbox said:

Topbox,

Better keep some life savers over for when i get back on land as you will need to show me this trail.

How is the handling coming on with the XR? Slowly but surely i bet.

shark_za said:
Such a pity the TTR-250 costs close to 50k.

Why is that? Talk about prising yourself out of the market. It is a very nice bike.

KTM BIGGER said:
topbox said:

Topbox,

Better keep some life savers over for when i get back on land as you will need to show me this trail.

How is the handling coming on with the XR? Slowly but surely i bet.

The handling is fine at speed, for the technicals it is tall though so when my foot hits the ground the bike already has momentum. I can flatfoot the XT no problem.
Happy to show you and Eisbein the ride

Trailrider said:
shark_za said:
Such a pity the TTR-250 costs close to 50k.

Why is that? Talk about prising yourself out of the market. It is a very nice bike.

TTR250 is R47,500.00 now. Seems a bit steep (for the aveg rider) for a 250, but if you had one you'd feel it's really  worth the money. Yamaha have kept only the essencial components on this bike, keeping it simple. It's literally a MX/Enduro bike with lights. Check the s/arm for example, and has adj suspension. It feels like a MX bike. The motor is not a torquey one but rather a revy one. You can putter around on it but it loves to be reved out. I've done the Wellington Enduro with the TTR and ridden most of the MX tracks with it, although the suspension is too soft for MX type riding. And for on the road, it loves to be ridden as if it were a motard. I can ride flat out at 140kph over Ou Kaaps, and it just smiles through the corners! (or is that me smilling  :-\)

PS: I'll try get some pics up too ....

Man, that XR650R is one mean boney.

When my ship comes in....

Eisbein said:
Very cool !

Where in Ou Kaapse weg do you turn off to get to the place where the Simons' town photo was taken ?

It's not off Ou Kaaps, but by Dagama Park. The orriginal trail was supposed to start at the top of Black Hill, but the National Parks have closed it off for hikers; Mnt biking and Horses only  :( When I used to ride the jeep trail there was no one for miles, now everyone seems to be going there!?! Typical!!

Some pics from my Kodak .... Captions are posted below >

Pic1 - Topbox on top! Chapmans Peak and Constantiaberg in the background.
Pic2 - Old WW1 post. Red Hill pass in the back.
Pic3 - Topbox and Shaun think "it's" funny (Me)  :p
Pic4 - Simons Town is awesome to see from above. The path leading to this point is easy but wet this time of the year.
pic5 - A veiw of Glencairn tidal pool and Muizenberg and Cape Flats in the back.

More pics after this >>>

Attachments

• pics 022s.jpg
    pics 022s.jpg
    43.4 KB
  • pics 026s.jpg
    pics 026s.jpg
    46.8 KB
  • pics 027s.jpg
    pics 027s.jpg
    39.8 KB
  • pics 028s.jpg
    pics 028s.jpg
    40.1 KB
  • pics 030s.jpg
    pics 030s.jpg
    25.3 KB
Last 5 pics >>>

Pic6
- Simons Town as veiwed from an old Radar Station ontop of Dido Valley.
Pic7 - False Bay from the WW1 Radar Station rooftop.
Pic8 - TTR with Radar Station at the back.
Pic9 - The Radar Station!
Pic10 - The two bikes, after topbox left to fix that shelf  :D

If you interested in joining us the next time, just PM me or topbox, and we'll let you know. It's relitively easy but you could drop your bike if you loose momentum or stall on two sections. (me talking from experience, hit neutral!)
Also, for those who like a mini exploration, bring your torches with and we can explore the WW1 ammo barraks at the same time. This trip would take the whole morning till about 2pm.

Attachments

• pics033sm.jpg
    pics033sm.jpg
    30.1 KB
  • pics034s.jpg
    pics034s.jpg
    40.2 KB
  • pics039s.jpg
    pics039s.jpg
    41.4 KB
  • pics041s.jpg
    pics041s.jpg
    36.3 KB
  • pics 040s.jpg
    pics 040s.jpg
    29.1 KB
You guys must take us there at some point - it looks so awesome !

It feels like a MX bike. The motor is not a torquey one but rather a revy one. You can putter around on it but it loves to be reved out. I've done the Wellington Enduro with the TTR and ridden most of the MX tracks with it, although the suspension is too soft for MX type riding.

Just a picture to show you the way a TTR likes to be ridden  ;D

Attachments

• TT-R250_01sml.jpg
    TT-R250_01sml.jpg
    251.3 KB
Hey Topbox !
Keep my no. at hand if you go out the way again,so few of us Yamaha`s out there it seems.Havnt had 1 XT yet on a ride with us yet.Watch for a ride with droffarc.He knows awsome roads.Have a good one.see ya !And KTM BIGGER! When ya coming home?

XT660R said:
!And KTM BIGGER! When ya coming home?

Damn XT660, dont make this any worse for me. I suffer enough just not being able to ride for 4 weeks, let alone watching you guys ride the western cape flat on them bikes.

See you definitly 8th August, 2 weeks, counting down. Lets plan a ride for the 12th or 20th Aug.

Oops we are hiking the thread. I will PM you XT 660

Latest posts