Snow Valley with the Witou

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty Boy

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
So Dirty Girl and I decided that we would go to the bash in the Witou with the Mountain Tamer ensconced in the back. Theres a number of reasons for this, Its a long way, 2 up on a KLR, Dont own panniers, Witou was a good transporter for other KZN WD's kit and most of all it beats a tent when its pissing down.

We set out from Westville at 11:30 on Friday morning and all would have gone well if it wasnt for the Transkei (sorry, its still the Transkei to me)
We have a coffee in Kokstad and set forth only to stop almost immediately at the end of a que. It was a Stop/Go roadworks block. No problem, will only have to wait 20min max. No a F*&4k, this is Transkei. We sat for an Hour and a half. Then when we got going for 32km of single track and the good road thereafter, the normal well behaved, considerate drivers of the 30seater HiAce buses decided to make up for lost time. Apparently there are no Blind rises, Blind corners or solid white lines in Transkei because it became a free for all. Man, did I age during the next hour of driving.

Turned off the N2 towards Maclear, Ugie, Elliot, Barley East but unfortunately it was now getting dark so missed a part of the world that I had never seen before. The heavens opened at Barkly Pass with sheet lightening just make it more dramatic. Finally got to the dirt road just after BE and then the fun started.

Pitch dark, slashing rain, slightly worn tyres in a low slung, laden, Autobahn Stormer. The road, um, path was ok in places but deadly slippery in patches. It was like throwing a cake of soap down a jailhouse showerblocks floor (dont ask)

Got to SnowValley in one piece at 22:30, tired, wet, Witou was filthy but had done me proud. Couldnt find any of the KZN WD so went down the road to a cottage that had another Witou and some EC WD bikes in the garden. I pulled the KLR out, inflated the mattress and was in bed in 10min. Dirty Girl was asleep before the bed was inflated !

It slashed down in the night but we were dry in our Passion Wagon (if I had cell reception, I would have phone DG's dad to tell him '"not to laugh, his daughter IS inside" )

Sat Morn we made our way back to the bash and found some KZN dogs. We set up at the end of the line of tents and found the coffee. Got settled and then went for a great ride over Lundines Pass.
Got back to camp and prepared for a braai. FARK !!! those braai packs?  I would have ordered 1 for the weekend for two of us if I had known.

More to follow....

Photos:
Last in, end of the line but dry in the Witou
The Badgers. They know how to get in the way when you are trying to take pics
EssBee and M
The Badgers again
Great view, Mountain not bad either
Dodo, he knows how to pick up girls, especially if they are drinking   ;D

Attachments

• Last in.jpg
    Last in.jpg
    125.7 KB
  • Badgers.jpg
    Badgers.jpg
    137.1 KB
  • EssBee & M.jpg
    EssBee & M.jpg
    100.5 KB
  • The Badgers.jpg
    The Badgers.jpg
    128.4 KB
  • KLR.jpg
    KLR.jpg
    115 KB
  • Dodo.jpg
    Dodo.jpg
    80.7 KB
Sunday morning and WD's start leaving. Dirty Girl and I took advantage of the great weather and planned a short ride. Packed some lunch and headed for Rhodes.

Great riding country, fantastic views and miles of nobody. Stopped at Rhodes Hotel/bar/coffee shop/bottle store....... and fell in love. We went into the coffee shop and was greeted by a gorgeous Golden Retriever puppy, man, I could have kidnapped him.

On our way again we headed up the Tiffendell road but got 10km up the road to be greeted by a sign that made it clear we wernt welcome to go any further. Turned towards NaudeNeck and went 10km before stopping for lunch on the side of the road. Blasted back taking in the scenery and enjoying the miles of no other traffic (hey, we are city slickers)

Returned to camp to find just Orange Swifty's team left.

Massive boulders in the river bed
Stunning Views
Pretty Farms
Rhodes (hope I didnt wake the town up)
Lonely, oh so lonely.

Attachments

• Boulders.jpg
    Boulders.jpg
    130.8 KB
  • Great views.jpg
    Great views.jpg
    40.9 KB
  • Views 2.jpg
    Views 2.jpg
    158.7 KB
  • Rhodes.jpg
    Rhodes.jpg
    61.5 KB
  • Lonely.jpg
    Lonely.jpg
    126.8 KB
Sunday afternoon, back from a great ride and we have the place almost to ourselves, time to chill.
OrangeSwifty and crew had moved up to the cottages so we decided to follow suite and spoke to Kath and Chris
(the owners) They had a bedroom in the farm house.  :biggrin:

We packed the Witou, had a hot bath whilst throwing back some premium sherry. I then went around to O"Swifty to kuier a bit and then got to bed.

Monday morning, heard the KTM guys leave and then said our goodbye's to our wonderful hosts.

Back to 4 wheels, we headed out through Rhodes and up NaudesNeck. Got some strange looks from 4x4's coming the opposite direction.
Cruised down the other side into the massive plain below, then took the left branch instead of heading for Maclear. Now for those that dont know Mercedes Vito's let me inform you.

Its a no nonsense diesel powered van, designed to carry people in relative comfort on tar roads. Maybe I could be accused of neglect by using the Witou as a KLR hauler along with all our other kit, Jerry cans, bedding, gazebo, other WD's bags, driving over mountain passes, rutted rocky roads on worn road tyres. But hey, it never missed a beat and got us home safely at 7pm.

A great weekend, Thanks for reading.

Very cute juvenile braai packs
Going up NaudesNeck
Spot the WD KLR looking over my shoulder
Miles and miles
Future braai packs
Lunch Time

Attachments

• So cute.jpg
    So cute.jpg
    125.3 KB
  • Going up !.jpg
    Going up !.jpg
    148.5 KB
  • KLR trying to overtake.jpg
    KLR trying to overtake.jpg
    148.1 KB
  • Miles and miles.jpg
    Miles and miles.jpg
    118 KB
  • Another braai pack.jpg
    Another braai pack.jpg
    105.3 KB
Just want to thank you for the use of your tent, you were a life saver! Glad you had a nice kuir

XTFREAK said:
Just want to thank you for the use of your tent, you were a life saver! Glad you had a nice kuir

No problem. Nice to meet you and your son. Good neighbours  :biggrin:

Thanks for the report and again for carting our bags to and from bash for us it was a great help see you soon .

Kevin and Sarah.

Hey James

Good seeing you and Gayle at the bash.

Thanks for carrying my kit there and back, much appreciated.

Jon

Hi James.
You were both very lucky to spend another relaxing night at Snow Valley. Just want to say thanks so much for carting our camping equipment back home for us. It certainly helped me down Ongeluksnek not having that load.
Nice to meet you both.

James

Good meeting you!
We had a lekke coupla laughs over the videos off my helmet cam in the chalet
We'l speak soon
Cheers bud

:thumleft:

Ditto re-carrying our stuff!!!! Much appreciated. ;D

Nice pics....thanks for posting.