Sodwana Long Weekend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaMojo

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
When I saw the weather forecast I decided to rather head for natal.

Bike Loaded and Ready to go. Luggage: kaoko Saddle bags. I fitted some old BM pannier brackets from the afdak. Welded some brackets on and bolted to the Tiger mounting points.

DSCN3743.jpg

I headed towards Standerton, on the way there an HP2 came flying past. I never saw him again. Then on to Volksrust, Wakkerstroom and from there on gravel towards Vryheid. On the gravel section there was a turn off to Paulpietersburg, it looked tempting so that's the way.

DSCN3744.jpg

its about 100km with some really great scenery.

DSCN3745.jpg

DSCN3747.jpg

DSCN3748.jpg

Shadows were getting long, so we headed For Natal Spa just outside Pulpietersburg. They were fully booked, but I convinced them that my tent is small and the Asst Manager were really helpful.

Next morning I noticed a Fuel leak. and this was the culprit.
DSCN3751.jpg

First time I did not take Pratley steel on a trip and I needed it. The staff at Natal Spa were very helpful, gave me their Pratley Steel. and also let me use their workshop.

DSCN3753.jpg

I was impatient, and it started leaking again, This time I put the bike down on it's side and glued it PROPERLY.

DSCN3754.jpg

With the whole saturday wasted fixing da Leak. We left Suday morning and stopped off at Louwsburg (Jakaranda Lodge) Used to be the old Louwsburg Hotel.

Met this Beatiful Lady (June) , She served us coffee and cake. Also turns out to be the Mother in Law of one of our members. (Small World Nino)

DSCN3756.jpg

The Lodge
DSCN3757.jpg

Then on towards Jozini on the R69. Turn left on the R66 and immediately right. The map shows this as tar, but from previous experience I know this road. It's a nice gravel road with some rocky sections. and eventually you come over a hill ,
DSCN3761.jpg

and get this view of Jozini Dam

DSCN3759.jpg

I then took the gravel road from Jozini to Sodwana. a couple of years ago this road took me 3 hours + to ride after a thunderstorm.

This time it ook me whole 30 minutes ! - 60 odd Km
I was Nailing it all the way and did not even have time to stop for pictures. Towards the end a GS passed me in the opposite direction, I wanted to stop, but noticed the deep groove my back tyre left in the sandy surface as it locked up under braking, I just opened the throttle till the tar road appreared.

Camp site set up at Sodwana. Also no booking, but they found a space for me.

DSCN3767.jpg

And Fire going with all the required refreshments ready.

DSCN3768.jpg

The fuel line started leaking again. BADLY. This time I tried to route it directly to the tank (It was the Return line and fortunately not the High Pressure line to the Injectors.

But this did not work as it needs back pressure for the Fuel Pump to work.

I then took a chance and blocked the pipe (Gave it a kink and cable tied it)

Voila ! it worked perfectly. and the bike ran smoothly all the way home (700km)

Besides that "Little" fuel Problem. The Tiger ran beautifully all the way, and hanled the gravel in it's stride. Very Comfortable seat as well. Even my girlfriend liked the seat. did not complain once, and we did 200+ km between stops on the way back.

Yes, I know i should have taken more pictures at Sodwana, but it took me quite a while to fix the fuel leak.

O Ja, and I did take a swim in the Ocean. the Weather was great throughout.

Great report, we travelled a similar route on our way to Vryheid, also tried Natal Spa, but they were full. (Fixed accomodation) We had a late lunch there and left around 4 pm. We also did that dirt stretch to Paulpetersburg. When I post our ride report you'll see the same stretches, lekker countryside.

Adventurer said:
Great report, we travelled a similar route on our way to Vryheid, also tried Natal Spa, but they were full. (Fixed accomodation) We had a late lunch there and left around 4 pm. We also did that dirt stretch to Paulpetersburg. When I post our ride report you'll see the same stretches, lekker countryside.

Pity, We must have just missed each other.

Some beatiful roads around there. As Long as they are not WET.

We were at Sodwana as well - whole long weekend. I saw that green tiger once (close to the Lodge gate), we were on our way back from the beach after the day's diving. I did wave! :) We also took the plastic bikes, great sand riding trough the plantations and along the "beach" of the Sibiya lake, outside of the Park. The 525 just loves that terrain! :D :D And there are wide open areas with no people or cattle or hoenders to worry about. 8) :)

And the diving conditions were excellent too!

A few weeks back we serviced a friend's Tiger and came across the very same leaky fuel connectors. One broke off we we tried to remove it. They cost a couple hunderd bucks to replace. I hear BM's use a similar connector, but don't know if it would work.

Groenie,

I actually went to a Hydraulic shop,

Got some metal connections with a 90deg bend, Installed them in place of the plastic female connectors.

Then added two short pieces of fuel pipe. and installed the quick connectors from BM in order to still make the tank removal easy.

It should never leak again. and if so, it will be much easier to by-pass in the veld or next to the road.

I will take some pictures and post them here.