[solved] Rubber washer for oil lid (did not sneak) into engine!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whazzatt

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
E2a Summary of topic (and a few details added):

- Did a 1600 km road trip, bike went great
- Got home, bike stood for a day or 2
- Started fine, but I stopped it to top up oil
- O ring usually remained on engine oil intake hole area, which I thought was normal (now I know it should slot into the lid)
- Was in a rush, didn't notice whether or not o-ring was present
- Bike started and quickly died 4 times in a row
- Assumed o ring snuck into engine (I had bottomed-up a smallish bottle of oil containing a small quantity of oil into intake hole)
- Posted issue. Doubt expressed about possibility of ring getting into engine. Drainage of float chamber also suggested.
- I had drained oil and removed filter already, so replaced filter and oil. Did the float drain. Got a new o ring for oil cap.
- Bike ran fine thereafter. O ring probably lost when oil was topped up along the long ride a week ago.

Original post:

Yip, I've gone and done it. Started the bike ('05 KLR) to go out. Realised I should check oil, so stopped the bike, checked level, decided to add a bit. Went through the regular routine, but this time with helmet, sunglasses, and one glove on. Started bike again, and it chugged out. Tried 3 more times – battled to start each time, but did start, then chugged out.

A few days ago I returned from a week-long, 2-up, 1600 km trip, and all was very well with the bike, so the failure to run seemed very weird. I wondered if I didn't close the oil cap properly, so check it, open it... and see no sign of the rubber washer that sits between the engine case and the black lid. And that sinking, nauseating feeling creeps in. Look everywhere for the washer, all the while knowing its in the engine, because the bike has never faltered.

The sunglasses, helmet, one glove on, and mind on the best route to my destination in 5 o clock traffic are all factors here. Thankful that I didn't do this somewhere along the R62 a week ago. Also thankful that what I've dropped in is rubber and not metal, seeing as I tried to start the bike 4 times before realising what happened.

Drained oil, hoping that the washer would sink to the sump area. Such a small and deep sump hole though.  

I have a friend who knows his way around engines, though he does not have much experience with bikes. He says he is willing to help me take the side cover off and look for the washer, which I imagine is stuck at the oil screen.

I've found this (https://www.klr650.marknet.us/wpump.html), which presumably can be used as a guide.

Wondering if I should go and get a gasket or if the old one will hold up.

Also wondering if I should not bother tackling this job and rather take it straight to a pro. From the link above, the water pump looks tricky and fragile.

Any advice or comments welcome.

dave