Some research: Where do you spend most time reading RR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michnus

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Where do you spend most of your time reading RR's?

The reason for the question, loads of businesses in SA block/ban picture hosting sites. Many people therefore can't read RR's at work as it's meant to be, you need your rest  :biggrin:

Pictures uploaded to our server is visible but makes for a shitty report.

Which picture hosting sites are allowed with your company and which of them are blocked/banned?

We had a huge viewer tally on our Africa trip website, I get people now telling me they cant see the fotos on the report I posted here from work as the pictures are hosted from www.smugmug.com

Not sure if our new software will offer better option to host pictures in a rr on our server without just adding them at the bottom.

What ids your opinion?

My work allows feed from Photobucket, Smugmug etc but blocks uploads to these sites.  I'm not sure if this is intentional.  Curiously, one gets no notification other than the browser (any browser) just hangs.

RobC said:
I find linking from a blog is better than using pic sites.

why would blog sites URL's not be banned/blocked vs picture hosting sites?

They block fb at work and yet I'm able to access wd all day... That said... Sometimes the firewall does come up but then I just refresh and carry on.

Some hosting sites are blocked for me and some not, with the result I just open RR's when at home.
FB etc is completely out of bounds: If I check news24 from work the ads on each page block it so I can't go "back", have to use the top navigation bar.

Unless the boss is far away I only go onto WD during lunchtime or after hours anyway.

Michnus, I work for myself so everything is open, but I find that smugmug is a problem. The photos either don't load at all, or only the top of them load so I can only see the top 1 or 2 centimeters of the pic. If a photo does load it takes ages.
Photobucket always works fine.
Some of the other hosting sites also suck.
For this reason, I still haven't seen your Africa report. I can also never see anything Blazes posts, although I can't remember what hosting site he uses.

Ok just checked. Blazes uses Imageshack. I opened the report he wrote about Dakota's mud ride, it took a full minute for the first photo to start appearing, and another full minute for it to show fully.
And that was only 1 of 15 pictures. It's like being back in the days of the 32K modem.  :mad:

I am technically not able to access Wilddogs at all from work, but I found that I can access it (and view everything) by using another Proxy server..  >:D

I did discuss this with my boss though, as this site is open in my browser the whole day.. Probably the only website I visit anyway..  :mwink:

michnus said:
Where do you spend most of your time reading RR's?

The reason for the question, loads of businesses in SA block/ban picture hosting sites. Many people therefore can't read RR's at work as it's meant to be, you need your rest  :biggrin:

Pictures uploaded to our server is visible but makes for a shitty report.

Which picture hosting sites are allowed with your company and which of them are blocked/banned?

We had a huge viewer tally on our Africa trip website, I get people now telling me they cant see the fotos on the report I posted here from work as the pictures are hosted from www.smugmug.com

Not sure if our new software will offer better option to host pictures in a rr on our server without just adding them at the bottom.

What ids your opinion?
Using a blog as the picture repository also works.

no problems at work . thks for the great read its making me very jealous

Where I work (University) we have no problem with opening image hosting sites or viewing any websites. However, I do spend a large portion reading threads on my Black Barry when at home or in boring meetings/seminars at work  :peepwall:

Problem here is you cant see any photo's. I am not IT expert, but suspect it is because of image sizes?

Would be awesome to see pictures on mobile  :ricky:

Reading it from home. Work has limited cap and won't handle all the photos.

Smugmug and Imageshack is making it difficult for me to read ride reports, never ever a problem with photobucket.

Like Leon said, reading Blazes's ride reports is a huge effort, some pics load, some don't and some only a portion, it makes it really crappy.....

Oh, and that blerrie frog in the ice cube pops up every now and then, not sure what is the story with that  ??? ??? ???

I started out using photobucket, but the adverts and crappy limitations really irritate. I have been using smugmug now for years and find almost everyone can see my pics - the trick is to reduce the file size (lots of free ware available for that). If people upload 4Mb pictures of course its going to take a lot longer to load!

The same problem exists with most of the image hosting sites.

I would say that the option to embed pictures in a RR always works better than when someone attaches a pic at the bottom of the post, I find it detracting to try and see watch picture 4 is about and having to scroll back to read the legend.

Not sure if this helps at all.

At home.  At work Photobucket works.  I agree - keep the pic size to 300K or so?

I am the boss but don't have time so read RR's @ work, so use home internet!

At home, but that is just because I don"t have a computer at work...but my Galaxy tab comes in handy at times