Soul searching...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
For the past year now, I?ve had this urge to visit the places where I lived as a child. Why, I don?t (or didn?t) know. Unlike most trips, this one was more about the destinations, than about the journey. At least, that?s the way it started - I now realize that the journey happened inside me.

I shall, however, not bore you with those details. Externally, this is more or less how it went ? pardon the word-to-picture ratio.

By taking only 4 days leave, with all the public holidays recently, I managed to score a whopping 10 days to do the trip I?ve been wanting to do for so long. Le mois, solitaire. The plan was to sleep over at the following places:

Kenhardt ? Kuruman ? Lichtenburg ? Wolmaransstad ? Bloemfontein (for 3 nights) ? Steytlerville ? Jeffreys Bay

It was with a stomach filled with butterflies that I left Durbanville shortly after 7 Friday morning, in pouring rain.

I was hoping to leave the rain behind at Malmesbury or Piketburg, but it came down in buckets until I reached Clanwilliam. I realized that I would be daft to take any of the dirt roads, as I dislike mud about as much as I dislike sand. From Clanwilliam I saw a short cut to Calvinia which, on my GPS looked just like the N7 - a nice thick red line. I can already hear giggles from those who have taken this route before. After about 5 km?s, it becomes a dirt road, nice and hard with some loose gravel and not too much damage from the rain. Moffie in the cage behind me turned around ? sissy.

What a beautiful piece of land, over the mountains via Pakhuis pass.

Once on the other side of the mountains, I realized why the wise man in his cage turned around ? the road turned to mud. Not thick mud; only a couple of inches, but you will not believe how slippery that shit is. Like snot, I tell you, like baby snot. At one stage I overtook a bakkie on the hard gravel, only to unexpectedly hit a patch like this at about 100km/h.

Pofadder, like in sand, also left a trail like a pofadder in the mud. The kind man in the bakkie offered to help get Pofadder away from the fence, while wiping tears of laughter from his eyes ? bitch!

Is this a sexy ass, or what?

Well, I made Calvinia in one piece, albeit a bit shaken, not stirred. The road to Kenhardt from here, is quite possibly the most boring piece of road imaginable and I couldn?t wait for that first beer to hit my stomach without touching sides. We met Eeton, the owner of the Kenhardt hotel, on our trip to Verneukpan earlier last month (have a look at ?Interesting places?). Eeton also likes bikes and has also been known to socialize with the riders, from time to time (note the understatements). A few beers, wash, dinner, good company and the stage was set for a memorable evening.

To appreciate the next picture, I have to tell you this story (you can skip it if you don?t like good stories). Eeton told me of a friend who visited some time ago, and while they sat at the bar, his friend tells him that he would really like to have his bike in the bar with him. ?Sure?, said Eeton, ?bring you bike in.? So, through the front door, through the lounge and through the bar door and the bike was in the bar where they continued their festivities. A while later, his friend said that he would really like to start his bike, just a little bit. ?Sure?, said Eeton, ?start you bike.? VOOM-VOOOOM-VOOOOM PA-PA-PA!!!!! and AGAIN, and AGAIN. And so they continued their festivities. Even later still, his friend said that he would really like to spin his bike, but quickly added that he knows where to get some more of the same tiles that was in the bar. ?Shoore?, said Eeton, ?Shpin your bike.? VOOOOOM-SQUEEEL-SCREAAAM-VOOOOM-SMOKE-RUBBER!!!!! As I mentioned, Eeton likes bikes. Before luch the next day, his friend returned with a box of tiles to replace the damaged ones.

And so Eeton, myself, a lady friend and a man I only remember as Vader Krismis continued our own festivities. Quite late in the evening, I said to Eeton that I would really like to have my bike in the bar with me (you can see where this is going, can?t you). ?Shure?, said Eeton, ?bring your bike.? So, through the front door, through the lounge and through? ? shit, it won?t fit through the bar door. By twisting the handle bars and with Eeton pushing, we managed to get Pofadder stuck well and truly in the bar door, refusing to go in or back out.

The fact that the trip report is not over means that we did get Pofadder out, but that is another story which almost involved and leveler, a saw and a chisel. Unfortunately, I didn?t get up in time to watch the start of the Kenhardt marathon, but I did see some of the late comers finish.

From here it is a rather uninteresting road to Kuruman even though this is DS heaven - I was on a mission. It was the first time in about 20 years that visited Kuruman again and I rode through the town to see how much of it I could remember. The only place that remained relatively the same is the eye.

The rest of the town, even though it has experienced phenomenal growth over the last few years, is in shambles. The newly built shopping centre already looks dilapidated and dirty. Well, that?s my impression anyway. Pitty.

The plan was to camp at the campsite next to the eye, but after what I saw that afternoon and with temperatures approaching zero, I opted for a luxury B&B, ?cause I could. I left in the freezing cold the next morning, destination Lichtenburg - I have a cousin there, whom I haven?t seen in many years. I don?t think I?ve ever been so could on a bike as I was that morning. The lawns were white with frost and my visor steamed up, even though I was doing about 120. It was a short trip, Vryburg ? Delarayville ? Sannieshof ? Lichtenburg, but I wanted to spend more that just an evening with my cuz and besides, I promised Stofstreep that I would show face (glad to have met you, Stof?).

Deeee-laaaa-ray de-la-ray de-la-ray?

My cuz and I spent the rest of that beautiful Sunday afternoon flying around Lichtenburg in his micro-light, a rather interesting experience. This is the town from the air.

The next morning I was off to Wolmaransstad, where I was born and lived for the first few years of my life. Again, the first time in about 20 years that went back. It was cold, but not like the day before. I went via Ventersdorp, to visit an aunt whom I haven?t seen since I was a toddler. At Wolmaransstad, I put fresh flowers on my mother and brother?s graves, but only after dropping Pofadder right in the middle of the main road. I spent the rest of the afternoon riding through the town, taking pictures of places that I could remember. To say that the town is in a terrible state would be an understatement. This is what is left of the sport field of the school where my father taught maths and science.

I had the bestest ever flumb�©ed fillet blue at a place called De Hoft (will post something in Interesting places soon), with many cold ones. Must say, I rather enjoyed getting hammered and dronkverdriet that evening, again staying over at a luxury B&B (thanks for the phone call, LS ? it cheered me up ever so slightly).

I couldn?t leave Wollies early enough the next morning ? destination Bloemfontein, via Bloemhof ? Hoopstad ? Bultfontein, crossing the Bloemhof dam on the way

I stayed in Bloemfontein for 3 days, visiting my brother and sister, and also had the privilege of seeing the Bloemfontein show. This picture would probably give KiLRoy (and some others) a hardon.

After a good rest, which included a kick-ass birthday party, I left for Steytlerville where my favorite Karoo Hotel is. The route; Bloem ? Colesburg (yawn) ? Noupoort ? Middelburg ? Graaff-Reinet ? Jansenville ? Steytlerville (nice hard dirt).

No good can come of these plants:

If ever you?re in this area, do make a plan to pop in at the Karoo Hotel. In fact, one can make this a destination in itself. The owners, Jaques and Mark, will make your stay an unforgettable one. I wish I could have stayed longer, but I had one more stop to make, in Jeffreys Bay.

The road down to Uniondale is rather uniteresting, but neither words nor pictures can accurately portray the beauty of the scenery between Avontuur and Knysna (those who have seen it, would agree). Here are some understatements:

The sleepy hollow of Jeffreys Bay is sleepy no more; shops and things all over the place, houses all the way up the hillside with some of the most spectacular views ever.

All too soon, my holiday came to an end. Commitments at work meant that I had to get back to Cape Town in a bit of a hurry via the R62. I did, however, manage to stop for one photo when this view presented itself on the way to Oudtshoorn.

Some statistics:

Average fuel consumption: 17.72095411 km per litre (more or less)

The experience: Priceless

All that remains now, is to draw some meaningful conclusions from this discombobulation of emotions left in my head.

Butch, over and out?