Southern Africa - Pillion style

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netrom

Pack Dog
WD Vendor
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
I was going to do a solo trip into Southern Africa a couple of years ago...      

After months of plotting and tweaking the 650 Dakar with some needed extras i was getting ready to go!

Sitting the pub one night chatting to one of my friends about the trip, she says "that sounds amazing", so next thing i know we are heading out into the wild together...

The plan was to travel North through Namibia to Epupa Falls, then track along the Kunene river to Rucana Falls, across the Caprivi strip to Katima Mulilo, into Zambia following the Mighty Zambezi to a place called Jungle Junction, from there zipping through Zimbabwe (Vic Falls) to Chobe in Botswana, down to the great salt pans and back down to the lekker RSA..

This trip happened in August/ September 2008 ..... Yip i am a slow editor :)

As i am such a terrible speller i have rather done a video with some pics for your mutual pleasure!

Happy viewing  :mwink:

https://youtu.be/NPPeXeDgpGI
6%

Great video! Very entertaining viewing. Well done. O0

I've had "Solo trip through Namibia" on my bucket list for too long now.

How long are we gonna wait for part 2? Hope it's not gonna be another 4 years!  :biggrin:

and is she still 'just a friend' ?  :mwink:

Me thinks that might be why the RR has taken so long to emerge.  :thumleft:

Dirty Boy said:
and is she still 'just a friend' ?   :mwink:

Me thinks that might be why the RR has taken so long to emerge.   :thumleft:
:mwink:will this is always the loaded question but a true Adventure rider never tells all his stories!

Th rest will hopefully not take to long to sort out.

Cool.
Looks like you guys were having fun.

hurry up with part 2 please

PART 2

So after a lekker couple day on the river (even thou it was very chilli) we head back out onto the road..

With Laura never haven ridden more that 20min on a bike the off road stuff was often done in the "sitting" position!

This combind with the weight of the panniers, was putting massive strain onto the sub frame bolts..

so in the last clip that is what i was busy grinding, in order to get a grip on the round bolt head. The lower ones have the nut welded to the body so when the nut goes it a big "eish" as you have to have it drilled out  :-\

In this 2nd stage we followed the orange river downstream until the confluence of the Gamkap river bed. Here we turn North on a lovely jeep track on route to Ai Ais. We also had our first tumble here!

Ai Ais to Fish river Canyon and then up again to Keetmanshoop and the Giants playground/ Quiver tree forest.

From here is was the long boring tar road (via Aus and the wild horses) to Luderitz.

here we go...   https://youtu.be/r47yPT84hDA

Hi there Netrom

Awesome report so far  :thumleft:

You have fantastic editting skills.

Please keep it coming I'm really enjoying the report - thx  :ricky:

Part 3
Luderitz to Swakopmund

Luderitz is really nice little town but so far from anything else! On the road out we popped into the Ghost town, again nice to see but don't think i would make the detour out this side again ;D

After hitting Aus again we turn North, following the gravel roads up the back of the Namib Naukluf national park up to Sesriem/ Soussisvlei. This was a track mixed with emotion, from amazing endless horizon and wild life along the sides of the road, to hanging on for deal lift in the deep sand tracks that popped up every now and then.

We did not book, so had to fork out top dollar for a exclusive camp site in the parking lot  ??? Woke up to the sounds of the big overlander trucks thundering off down the road, to get to the famous Dune 45 for sunrise. It was beyond cold that morning and we only left at sunrise and still had to stop and do start jumps on the side of the road to try warm up. Think the Italians (August is spaghetti month in Nam) thought we where cooked.

After seeing all the wonderful sites in this area, it was off to solitaire. arrived for an amazing sunset and a deep sleep.

Apple strudel and a warm coffee saw us on our way to swakopmund via the Kuseb canyon.

Had pretty shit time in Swakop a such horrible weather and a really bad chose in places to stay did it for me. did have a couple of nice day trips out to Moonscapes thou. Got a new back tyre and sprocket here (thanks KTM shop. BMW was no where as usual :-()

Next off to Spitzkoppe..

https://youtu.be/7MxGjwaq8es