Sticky Valves? Please educate me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamgigglz

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I kitted up for the first time in three months this morning, jumped on the trusty Transalp and hit the happy button, half expecting a dead battery. To my surprise the starter motor leapt into life and the engine fired...sort of. It coughed and spluttered a few times and then died.

After that, no amount praying, push starting or fiddling with wiring & fuses could get it to fire. Eventually there was a rich smell of fuel coming from the exhaust and I figured it was flooded. I called up Motorcycles for Africa and they rocked up with a bakkie.

Now they've called me to say they can't find anything obviously wrong and will have to drop the engine as they believe it's sticky valves.

The bike has 50,000km on the clock and was serviced at 48,000km, including a valve clearance check. Apparently they were fine.

A little googling has shown me what a sticky valve is, but nothing mentions why it happens. Have I done something wrong or is this just how it is?
Am I in for big cost or is it just a small thing to fix?

All knowing Wild Dogs forum, bathe me in knowledge.  :dousing: