Stopping the sandmonster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Last week after a ride in the quarry, I had a moment.  After a week of mauling the incident over and over, I still donâ??t have a solution of how I could have prevented this.  Please O wise forum members.  Enlighten me in the ways of the sandmonster.

I was riding the sandmonster, everything going great.  Topbox stopped in front of me, and I slammed on the brakes, stopping beautifully, but the bike dug itself into the sand.  I spent what felt like forever to get going again, and finally managed to get enough speed to get back on the pegs and ride it out.  Eventually I had to stop again (for some reason one always has to stop at some time).  This time round I was dead tired, and the thought of the sand drinking me in was too much, so I changed strategy.  Instead of braking hard, I just released my death like grip on the throttle, and allowed my bike to slowly come to standstill.  Great idea I thought - bad results.  As soon as the speed dropped below that critical speed needed to stay on top of the sand (almost like a boat planing), the bike was al over the place.  And down goes Tim.

Where did I go wrong??