Sun City Saterday VMX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DR BIG 750

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR 750S Big
Went racing VMX on Sat, mx in 40deg makes for some "HOT" racing here are a few pics of the day I raced the RM 125 & a Maico 490 & KXF in the mods was a good day, The 2 guys with the trophies were 1st & 2 nd for the year in the over 60 class not bad one guy rides a 360 Penton & the other a Honda XR 500 the twinshock 23 inch front wheeled job

Attachments

• SC3.jpg
    SC3.jpg
    56.8 KB
  • SC2.jpg
    SC2.jpg
    81.8 KB
  • SC4.jpg
    SC4.jpg
    93.3 KB
  • SC6.jpg
    SC6.jpg
    89.1 KB
  • SC7.jpg
    SC7.jpg
    71.8 KB
  • SC8.jpg
    SC8.jpg
    53.1 KB
  • SC 5.jpg
    SC 5.jpg
    70 KB
  • SC!.jpg
    SC!.jpg
    76.5 KB
Am sorry I missed this one Doc.... I forgot shortly after u told me....must have been too many kilkennies....next time please?

Laurika the next meet you will have your own pm on race eve . its building season now

These bikes are very dear to me,in fact I prefer the older vintage bikes to any new bike as they were so different.

A mate and I were just talking of legends such as the RZ125,RD350 and the RZ500 last week. :drif:

These mx bikes are great too as I owned a Yz, Rm and a Kx 125 but never ever had the chance to own the CR125 :'( :'( :'(

I also always wished I had the Honda MTX200 liquid cooled. :drif: :drif:

Seeing the Rm's just make me want one again :thumleft:

Beautifull bikes you have there,enjoy them!!!!!! :thumleft:

Agreed with the old bikes, even though riding a mod is great everything works so well, i still found the essence of motorcycling comes through more in a classic, join us on the next mancave day see them in the flesh & sniff some" castro r"

That Mico, the red one with the kick start on the left, I knew her sister; and she was a bitch!  Could run well in a straight line though….

even in 2011 no HP shortage with a 500 2/stroke breaking & suspension departments come up a short in todays age, some guys can still pedal them seen more than one fellow blow away a mod 450.

That Maico is sure a beut !!!!  Who are the toppies that took trophys ??  Would be lekker to check names and find out about their history in racing..

Hell I wish I never gave away my old RM125X - my favourite MX bike :'(

It sure would be fun to race again  :ricky:

Isnt that Maico Russel Campbells? (OK read your 1st post properly and see its yours - idiot  ::) ) Must be quite a difference between the bikes hey.  Which do you lap faster on?

PS I also had an RM like that number T36 you show in the photo - very nostalgic!

I tell  you vmx racing is a blast  & probably the one of the cheapest forms of motorsport around, of course if you want it to be its not hard to spend money if you try. the 2 guys are Hamish Ireland #1 Mike Pretorios #2 , there a few old SA champs who still ride the odd old scoot ie Rob Wicks, the Bergsrom's Tony Riddell can pedal a CR 480 then some of the younger guys are incredibly quck on a 490 Maico's & similar. No ,that 490 is my mates bike I just rode it for the day, the Maico's are very popular in vmx you can order the complete bike new in spare parts from Europe (bit pricy but available) an Interesting point is I think it was Josh Coppins was doing  fairly similar times in a twin shock 490 to his factory KXf 450 around Farlry Castle last time out. granted it is a serious machine but still has twin shocks, twin drums & air cooled, any one interested give me a shout ,  we always welcome a new old schooler, ps we also do vinduro if you do not like the mx scene that is vintage enduro old IT, PE, Bultaco or whatever you have
cheers

If I could find a reasonable 80's era MX bike, preferably a 250 say, for a good price, that wasnt completely buggered I might be interested in giving it a go again.

I would love to give this a shot... is there a website or organisation ??  I will hunt around for a ride.. I still have a old IT 490 down at the coast..

hey Dodo the guys who do it is VMXSA you will find them on e Dirt under vintage motorcycle, it has a strong following all events , results ,sales & general kak praat gets posted there similar to this site, as far as sales go you find the old scoots anywhere gombom junkmail old barnes etc. building them is also fun & spares are not that hard to find just watch prices sometimes people inflate there values but there still are bargains out there, an IT 490 is a great start parts are readily available, hope to see you out there

Been trying to find my old Honda XR 250 R, '79 model that I raced around that era. Sold it to a guy for his farm and have heard via the grapevine that it may still be on the farm. Old guy has moved on, but will take a ride and see if anyone knows anything, otherwise would be keen to find a similar model and restore and race it. Being a member of the Lesotho Sports Car Club, we used to race enduro and practice on the Maseru Motocross track which was not much more than a few mounds of soil and a rough track, but hey, it was FUN!