Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

2StrokeDan

Teelhond
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
Bliknêrs said:
I had a TS400 Suzuki I suppose its similar to the one they moan about.
400cc 2 stroke.
I still have scars on my left foot from when it suddenly spun out from under me. No apparent reason.
I rode it to work Parow to CT in the 80s. Bloody awefull.

I still have a Suzuki TS400, and was thinking about building a TM400 replica, since I have a spare chassis and engine. Vibrators of note.

Vintage_Mania

1979 Honda CB400T
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
2StrokeDan said:
I still have a Suzuki TS400, and was thinking about building a TM400 replica, since I have a spare chassis and engine. Vibrators of note.

I know of someone that will give you access to their very special collection to swap that TS400+spares with...

2StrokeDan

Teelhond
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
Vintage_Mania said:
2StrokeDan said:

I know of someone that will give you access to their very special collection to swap that TS400+spares with...

I have been thinking about letting the TS go, lots of good TS memories, but I want to concentrate on Yamaha scramblers. If you want to, please pass on his details.

Welsh

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
VA, not BAD bikes, but BIG EYES:

I test rode an early 1970's 250 Penton / KTM  ISDT Six Day, twin shock, for a mate (didnt buy it) the six speed box was as rough as a bears arse, and then the Power Band, I remember seeing some of the Dyno Charts, it hit the band and the graph just went vertical then flat again.

Then mid 1970's Heikki Mikkola won the World Champs on a Husky, some marketing dork launched the Heikki Mikkola 360 Replica, supposedly the same porting as the GP bike, but without the HIGH END suspension, they built loads, it didnt sell, so offloaded cheap in the UK.

I rode a friends, (farmer / Rally Driver MX Rider the local MX track was on the side of their hill) so a wooded welsh hillside, done few laps and its fun, then she hits the power band on a lumpy uphill, big stream "cutting on the left" getting tired it goes vertical and I couldn't shut the throttle..... saved it but 40 odd years on remember it Very clearly.

The later Strokes were milder I think. Maico's won most things in our area back then, Mud motors.  :thumleft:

Bliknêrs

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650L
2StrokeDan said:
Jip.
Feet vibrating of the footpegs and whole body starting to itch after a while.
But a nice powerband and sounded good when coming on song.

DR BIG 750

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR 750S Big
great article VM, can agree a lot with his list, also mt DR 500 easy start and super capable if used for purpose,
Dan please sharre info on the TS 400, I have a good Suzuki collection, would fit in nicely

DR BIG 750

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR 750S Big
hated was the DR 400 and 500.
I did not like my DR 500 either. Cannot see why the army bought them, the XL500's would have done the job which was transport in the bases much better. XL 500's were much easier starters too. DR500 not an easy starter, saw that many times in the army and mine too.
Dr easiest starters about even 40 yrs down the line

Cublondie

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
I had 2 IT490's years ago. Ignition coils kept burning, difficulty in starting, exhausts that kept cracking and could not be welded/brazed and the punishment my wallet took are the memories I have. Would trailer it to a friends farm to go riding in Warmbaths, just for it not to start. Had a healthy appetite for plugs. Never wanted to own a Yamaha since then.

Salty950

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
As a “dirt bike” G450x

Dorsland

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
"..... a pair of chrome shocks that would have faded on a busy barroom door."

😂😂😂😂

Dorsland

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Some nice old threads seeing the light of day again on the new forum.

2StrokeDan

Teelhond
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
I had 2 IT490's years ago. Ignition coils kept burning, difficulty in starting, exhausts that kept cracking and could not be welded/brazed and the punishment my wallet took are the memories I have. Would trailer it to a friends farm to go riding in Warmbaths, just for it not to start. Had a healthy appetite for plugs. Never wanted to own a Yamaha since then.
Sad how often a brand is blamed for incompetence to sort issues.

2StrokeDan

Teelhond
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
Indeed, you were there so you should know ;)
I was indeed there in the 80's, and rode most of these YZ/IT, CR's, KX's, etc, and while some of them came with faults, they could always be fine-tuned.

While I do not question your specific experience, to have 2 bikes with all those problems is bad luck.

An exhaust cracking is the fault of how it is mounted, have seen cracked exhausts due to petrified rubber mounts, or pipes bolted directly to frame.

Vintage_Mania

1979 Honda CB400T
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
The big air hammers were all a bit of hit and miss, for all manufacturers. Some were better and others worse, but within a line, say RM500 (let's get the focus off the kak 490's) there were examples that just hit the mark every time and others that were so full of kak the owners dreaded to take it out for a ride.

If you were one of the lucky owners with minimal issues on your RM500, suddenly, after a top-end refresh, it will start to ping and won't start if hot, load up, etc etc etc.

Was the nature of the big air-cooled two-strokes of the 80's.

1ougat

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Probably this one :)

Attachments

• IMG_0087.jpeg
    IMG_0087.jpeg
    216.3 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Enduro
The TM 400 & 250 had much more power & an on/off powerband than their much more popular & user friendly TS street scrambler cousins. I learned that firsthand as I went over backwards on a borrowed 400, my first proper dirtbike crash, lots of pain & roasties but no permanent damage. My LH Pinkie still bears the scars from a wipeout on the 250, both crashes helped by my lack of experience (& fear at 16/17) and the crazy powerband! The RMs that succeeded the TMs became very famous on the motocross scene!

Welsh

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
. The Maicos of the early and mid-’70s are prime examples. These German machines

Thanks for posting VM, and I learnt something today. I always thought Maico's were Spainsh built.
Nope, and the company essentially went bust due to WP, which I think was White Power later changed to Works Performance, Maico had developed I guess the Alpha around WP suspension. The Maico CEO / Owner went out to dinner with the WP CEO / Owner and got horribly drunk according to rumour. WP management were so offended they refused to do any further business with Maico. So Maico had to get a new suspension supplier at the last minute it was a disaster, they never recovered. :cool: