Sunday: Wet Rookie Ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

LIL MINX

We started off rather late and had decided to head towards Picketburg and ride some of the gravel roads in between for practise.  The tar roads were a little wet but the gravel was...... much much worse for this newbie rider :eek:

Got onto the Spes Bona Road for a warm up where XXX got a surprise 'mossie' hitting into his visor.... ::)

Then onto the Occultdale Road - hmmmmm nice to open up there...did the tar road to Malmesbury where we put in some gas.  By then i was wanting to consume my Energade and Jungle Oats bar. 

Got onto the Biesiespoort Road towards Mooreesberg ;D ;D

Did a small tar section N7 to Misverstand Road and ended up having a rest on the Ou Waerbrug - what stunning scenery out there ....

Attachments

• Piketberg 23 06 08 002.jpg
    Piketberg 23 06 08 002.jpg
    104.5 KB
  • Piketberg 23 06 08 005.jpg
    Piketberg 23 06 08 005.jpg
    68.9 KB
  • Piketberg 23 06 08 006.jpg
    Piketberg 23 06 08 006.jpg
    75.4 KB
  • Piketberg 23 06 08 007.jpg
    Piketberg 23 06 08 007.jpg
    103.8 KB
  • Piketberg 23 06 08 011.jpg
    Piketberg 23 06 08 011.jpg
    148.9 KB
Did a few loops to the Picketberg Railway station, got a bite to eat and relax a bit with a cold beer, gr8.

We then backtracked from the railway station towards the De Hoek Cement Mine.  Took the N7 to the Klipheuwel turnoff.  I then experienced all the little marbles, hmmmmmmmmm.  Some farm roads towards Koringberg.  And then experiencing my first railway line route towards Withoogte.  There was a lot of water in the crossings and yip, it was bound to happen, my first fall, aaaargh :eek:  The mud was so thick my front wheel decided to go one way and the back another way ha ha

Onto the N7 where we took the turnoff onto the Biesiespoort Road for Malmesbury.  This was my best piece of road as there was a lot of mud, slippery, water, potholes, ruts you name it......  It was starting to get dark and I was cold by now ::)  All I wanted to do was get home into a hot bath.

Finally from Malmesbury to Durbanville where we bulleted past 2 other bikes with shining lights in the dark.... hmmm wonder who they were.... turned out to be Camelman and XT660 returning from their outride recce.

XXX and myself opted to go for the tar and not the Occultdale Road route luckily as the mist was real bad then...

I had put on Michelin T63 on the back and a Metzler Karoo on the front with 1.8bar front & back.  Considering my height, I had had the forks pushed through the triclamps by 25mm which has a very negative effect causing the bike to overreact on steering.

Nevertheless I reached speeds in excess of 100kms on muddy sections with large water-filled potholes :eek:  Just glad I didnt have my Scorpions on ;)  I still need to drop the rear suspension a little bit - any advice guys/gals ???

Had a gr8 first ride out there with about 300kms more practise behind me and I am loving it more and more ;D

Mish

Attachments

• Piketberg 23 06 08 012.jpg
    Piketberg 23 06 08 012.jpg
    137.1 KB
  • Piketberg 23 06 08 014.jpg
    Piketberg 23 06 08 014.jpg
    125.2 KB
  • Piketberg 23 06 08 015.jpg
    Piketberg 23 06 08 015.jpg
    135.2 KB
  • Piketberg 23 06 08 016.jpg
    Piketberg 23 06 08 016.jpg
    113.6 KB
Nice trip, well done!!!

I hope XXX made you pick the bike up all by yourself...

great report.
looks like an awesome ride.

you sit nice and comfy on the 640.....whats your size? or did you play with the suspension? The other girl I know riding a ktm is 1.82m

1 KAT said:
I still need to drop my rear suspension a little bit - any advice guys/gals ???
;D

Mish

Now there's an idea,  :eek: Take it slowly on the advice... or just drop your suspension  :pot:

ice going there 1k, all ways to take the bull by the horns and get to know it better. Hats off to you for getting out there and riding................... ;D. Hope to see you out there some day.

next

summer = sand. I am sure you will enjoy aswell.  >:D

one more thing, just going by what see in the pics, look up more and consentrate on your lines about 100-150m ahead of you.

Well done

Thanks guys/gals for your gr8 comments and encouraging words ;)

MH I will take note of your advice too, this is what is so awesome about this site, the help and guidance of the experienced people, cheers again :)

Latest posts