Survey Coordinates Conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntVan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Right. So I've got land survey coordinates, with the Lo. WG29 degree offset (Pretoria).

(1) How do I convert this to WGS coordinates so that I can load it into my GPS and view it on Google Earth etc.? I've read that I need to download ModelMaker Conversion Tool, which does not work on my MacBook. Eina. Tried it on a Windows 7 PC at the office and it crashes there as well.

(2) I understand the point is that Surveyors use projection coordinate systems, for greater accuracy. Am I correct in assuming that the numbers I have is in meters? For instance if a landmark is 45 940.17 and 58 309.93 with 2 800 000.00 offset (for example) this is all meters from the reference point?

(3) So is there a tool in Google Earth that can convert this to WGS coordinates that my GPS can understand? There is a display option that seems to refer to a US Geological standard, not much use here.

The goal is twofold: I want to se how close I can come to the survey points in my area, and of course it would be great to know exactly where my border are.