Sym NHT 200 and Hero Xpulse side by side

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stcomza

Race Dog
Reaction score
Last weekend, after completing services on the two Sym's, I packed away the tools and and sat down to take a break. I then found myself gazing at the NHT and Xpulse parked next to one another. I reminisced over some of the trips done and thought I should reflect on the differences between the two.

IMG_20240218_084825.jpgIMG_20240224_095332.jpg

This is not a magazine or technical type review, but rather an owners overview. Please, for the sake of your own sanity, keep in mind that I'm an average Joe. Do not compare what I write and experience with what, for example, Chris Birch, has said or shown on his YouTube channel.

Both bikes are 'standard'. Only additions to the NHT is the touring screen, crash bars, top box / soft pannier brackets, centre stand and set of Crox hand guards. The Xpulse is the non-oil cooled version and has the addition of a top box.

Basic specs:

NHTXpulse
CC183199.6
kW13.513.2
NM15.717.1
Gears65
Weight152kg153kg
Ground Clearance160mm220mm
Seat Height812mm823mm

- Looks
This is in the eye of the beer holder. I do not think this is a Marmite and/or Bovril scenario, very subjective in fact, both have styling ques to deal with the task(s) they have been assigned. I will add this, Sym could have done way better with the design and layout of the exhaust system. In my view, the Xpulse is a handsome dual sport. The NHT colour scheme reminds me of BMW and Suzuki.

IMG_20240323_111558.jpgIMG_20240218_084758.jpg

- Sound
In standard guise, they are very similar. Both is quieter than your run-of-the mill UberEats/MrDelivery/Checkers delivery bikes. The NHT has a much nicer thumper sound when you coast to a stop. The Xpulse has more engine 'noise', and at higher RPM it's vocal, bordering on 'strained'. The NHT has a more metallic (mechanical) sound in the higher octave ranges.

- Wheels and Tyres
*I only ride according to the manufacturers recommended pressures. I might be wrong, but at the speeds I travel I do not need to deflate or inflate.
Here differences become more apparent. On tar, the CST on the NHT performs great. Rain or shine, have not had any issues. The Metzeler Sahara Enduro 3 on the Xpulse gets noisy at speeds above 70km\h and feels 'loose' on tar when cornering with some exuberance. They also feel squirrely in wet conditions.
It's when you venture onto gravel that the Metzeler's shine. Not to say that the CST is rubbish, on the contrary, have ridden where they were probably never designed too, but in loose conditions the Metzeler's is more confidence inspiring. At speed on gravel, the CST tends to float more requiring extra steering input. In muddy and broken, loose rock conditions, the Metzeler's are far superior.
To the CST's credit, after 7200km of mostly gravel travel, have not had any punctures or noticeable performance drop-off. Also, I'm not a fan of knobblies for tar riding. 50/50 or even 70/30 tires is a better fit for me.
The Sym has a meagre 19"' front and the Xpulse a more manly 21". Does it bother me? No. Does it have an impact on how and where I ride? No.

- Brakes
The NHT has a combined braking system, meaning, if you pull the front brake lever, it also engages the rear brake and vice versa. Apparently this assists 'newer' riders to reduce panic stops and accidents. Older Japanese bikes (Moto Guzzi was first and BMW's integral ABS works with the front lever) have had the system in production on and off for years, so not sure why this is suddenly 'new' to make getting into motorcycling safer. Anyway. It works well. Takes time to get used to it, but you quickly adjust your riding style. I have actually worked out how to 'cheat' the system while traveling on gravel to get the rear wheel to lock up, by pulsing the front lever (human ABS if you will) to transfer weight to the front of the bike. As with any bike on gravel, if you grab a handful of front lever, the front wheel can loose traction, but as it is also braking the rear wheel, it keeps the bike strait and level. All newer models are equipped with ABS.
On the Xpulse, the rear brake is the hooligan lever. I have not ridden another Xpulse yet, but the rear brake on mine is extremely sensitive and powerful. Have not had time to check it over to adjust it, but on gravel it will lock up just thinking about it. This however makes it fun, not? Front brake is ABS assisted that can't be switched off (other than removing a fuse), but in day to day travels it's not a problem. In fact, modulating between the front and rear, it stops very quickly and safely.

- Comfort
I find the Xpulse throne more comfortable than the one on the NHT. The padding of the former just feels nicer. On the NHT you sit in, rather than on top of the bike. The padding is just not enough and the layout of the seat do not allow for enough movement. My wife made a seat cover with a pocket so that I can add more cushion and its helps On the other hand, my wife prefers the pillion arrangement on the NHT more than on the Xpulse. Also, the NHT has a little more room for the both of us. The pillion pegs on the Xpulse is too close to the fronts which makes it uncomfortable on longer journeys.
Seating position on both is upright which adds to the enjoyment. Due to the layout of the fairing and covers over the tank the NHT has better all round wind/weather protection. With the touring screen on the NHT, wind protection is ok. Not great. Just ok. The screen on the Xpulse actually does a good job as well.
The foot pegs on the Xpulse is much nicer. The hand grips on the NHT is better.
The overall steering feel of the Xpulse is also a little better.

- Suspension
If the NHT had the Xpulse suspension, it would be an entirely different beast. Yes, I know they 'compete' in slightly different categories, and that it's probably unfair to compare the setup keeping in mind the desired outcome. But, life is not fair and I stand by my assumption. Although the ride is 'harsher' on the Xpulse due to the 'stiffer' setup, it absorbs so much more. The soft wallowy NHT is better suited to smooth undulating surfaces. When the going gets rough, it tends to complain a bit. Speed is not it's friend. The rear mono shock bottoms out if you are not careful, and I attribute this mainly to 'overloading'. On the Xpulse you can at least set the pre-load and it makes a difference. The Xpulse setup can take a beating. Don't read this and immediately write the NHT off. We have done many enjoyable trips on it. Battles need to be chosen wisely.

- Dashboard
The NHT system is simple and effective. Would have liked to have a proper engine temperature gauge, but that's really just nitpicking. The Xpulse system is more modern. I have not used the onboard navigation yet, but from what I've seen and read, although rudimentary, seems to work a treat. I'm going to expose myself a little here, but I actually enjoy the Eco function on the Xpulse. Keeping those three dots stationary gives you something to do when the road is boring.

- Charging cell phone / GPS
The NHT USB port is handily positioned close the handlebar. You can mount your phone/USB cradle and have easy access to the port. On the Xpulse it's below the seat. It has a handy cavity for an electronic device and a elastic strap. Just not to sure about the additional vibration and dust/heat exposure.

- Performance
Let's not assume that this topic is not of interest. In some parts of the world, both of these are viewed as aspirational. Sadly, in good old sunny ZA, the opposite is true. Don't get me wrong. Speed and power is desirable and there is nothing wrong with it. Due to the macho take on everything, many people would not give these bike a second look, never mind a second thought.
Getting back on topic. In a straight up, tarmac shredding arms pulled from their sockets drag race, the NHT has the Xpulse beat. And yes, I'm acutely aware of the far more superior oil-cooled 4v Xpulse, but I still think the plucky NHT will edge it. To me, the more road biased CST tires has less rolling resistance and the gear ratios are not as short. The NHT does not run out of steam as quickly as the Xpulse. But what about off-road riding I hear you ask? As expected, here the Xpulse are levels above, no doubt about it. Grip levels on gravel is much better and even loose thick sand are easily dispatched. Would the NHT perform better with the same type of tyre as the Xpulse? Probably? I can't provide a proper answer as I'm comparing standard setup. I do however feel that even with the worlds best enduro and/or adventure tyre that the NHT will not be as competent on the road less traveled without a suspension upgrade.
I'm toying with the idea to run more road biased tyres on on the Xpulse. I think it will not only soften the ride a bit, but should also help it perform a little better.
I want to add just one more item. The gearing and torque setup on the Xpulse means that you do not have to row the gearbox as much. I have found that 5th gear (or Top Gear as it is the better choice) allows you to keep the pace up without having to gear down for every small incline. On the NHT, 6th is purely there to save fuel (bloody excellent at it!) but absolutely loathes uphills. But you know what, that's fine. They are 'slow'. I've experience it. I've accepted it. I've moved on.

- Consumption
Surely, the 'lack' of performance must have an upside, right? How does anything between 30 and 47 km\l grab you? I've experience it. I've accepted it. I've moved on.

- Maintenance
They are cheap to run. Buy the oil, spark plug and air filter and do your own services. I have not had to replace anything on the NHT yet. Only serviced it. The Xpulse is due an oil change soon.

Verdict?

If you look past the debatable subjective foibles and idiosyncrasies of these two machines, adventure awaits!

If I weigh up the Xpulse to the Honda CTX Bushlander I had, it's like comparing a Lexus to a Camry. Don't get me wrong, the CTX is bulletproof (if looked after...) and will probably still be around in the next 100 years as it's built like a tank. But, technology has improved in leaps and bounds, and you can instantly appreciate that your are riding something fairly modern. I realize they are both air cooled, and some of the design/engineering/technical know how on the Xpulse was probably gained from a late night copy and paste frenzy when the lovely people from Hero had access to the Honda archives, but, you can't just discount it because it's not the 'real' thing. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's a proper piece of kit that can be enjoyed for many years. At this point in time, the NHT is our family holiday companion. Wife and I have another trip planned the long weekend of 15-16 June and we can barely wait.

It is impossible for me to choose a favourite. This could be construed as an easy cop out, as the believe follows that people will not voluntarily admit they made a bad choice/purchase and would rather keep up appearances than admit defeat. In my case, it couldn't be further from the truth. Not so long ago, I re-entered the realm of motorcycling (had a short but painful hiatus due to circumstances beyond my control and a thing called, life) and jumped at the opportunity to purchase a Honda Transalp XL650V. The romance did not last long. Although it's a good machine and basically does what it says on the tin, I could just not bond with it. Nothing in particular bothered me about it, but I never felt 'happy' or in tune riding it. Try as I may, forcing myself to enjoy it, the straw did it's job and the camel had to be laid to rest. Fast forward a couple of months, meeting with a man called Mike, and I rode away the proud owner of the CTX Bushlander. The bike needed some tinkering, but I actually enjoyed it as it formed part of the experience as a whole. Many moons passed and the shine started to dull slightly. Although I still enjoyed piloting the machine, the tinkering turned around to bite me. To be fair, it had a hard life before I acquired it, but constant fiddling and spanner action had run it's course. On top of this, at the same time, I had the audacity to acquire an older Triumph Trophy 1200. I've always wanted a comfy, relaxing touring machine and this ticked all the boxes. I had to throw some cash at it, but the enjoyment made up for it. The only downside was the standard 'touring' screen. When you hunker down into your sport touring position, it was lovely. If you sat upright, as it should, the buffeting on the sides of your helmet got old very quickly. Riding with my adventure helmet (yes, I'm that person...) made it even worse. Other than that, what a beast. The induction noise from the 4 carbs and the howl of the exhaust made every trip memorable. With the way I ride, the fuel consumption was not as horrible as I was expecting. The standard top box and side panniers worked great and there is enough space on the seat for both of us to move around and never feel cramped. Here comes the but. Having two older bikes that require constant upkeep made me decide to look elsewhere. If it was at all possible, I would have kept both. Problem is, we now had four bikes to keep going. Although the two Sym's only require routine maintenance, the total cost did not justify it. So, with only about 2300km under it's belt, the Xpulse made sense. Having said all that and getting you to read all the way here, It will be remiss of me to not divulge that we are seriously contemplating letting go of the Crox and the Xpulse. Simple economics really. Keep the NHT as our adventure mule, but also get something that we can do our coffee runs on.

At the end of the day, it's not about what your ride, it's that your ride!

IMG_20230219_081756.jpgIMG_20230219_084003.jpg
IMG_20230226_093016.jpgIMG_20230924_105711.jpg

Even the diminutive but mighty Crox have to do some gravel sightseeing...

IMG_20240303_105925.jpg IMG_20240303_105811.jpg

Get out there! Ride safe!