TAIL OF THE DRAGON

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEON 1190

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
I am sure many has read and seen photos / video of the USA TAIL OF THE DRAON . Well we have our own dragons tail . Being the MONATSA PASS ROAD , t is now completely paved , and only the Border post has to be completed on the LESOTHO side , the have a portable office now but in time to come it will be a nice sand stone building .
Was in Clarens this past weekend hoping to ride with some of the Stutututu guys , but some how the plans did not work , 2 gents on Vstrom did join for a bit , but maybe we were pushing a bit to much and I think they decided to give it a miss , we rode thru Golden gate park and then up to the Monantsa border , down the cement road into Lesotho . we did this road in July and there was still about 10 kilos of paving to be done , the paving has been completed and its a awesome road to ride , we completeded the ride and stopped for a cold drink at one of the local retailers , 200 ml can of coke was 12 rand .
my friend wanted to go to Afriski and honestly I was not keen as it was super hot 32 degrees , but once heading up the mountain my mind was changed and I was enjoying the ride , we had not done 5 kilos when my buddy was not in my rear view , stopped waited a minute and no show so turned back , he was stopped ! was riding with his visor open and a bee hit him in the eye , fortunately was not stung , but uncomfortable . MAYBE THIS WAS A WARNING !
We rode up to Oxbow , passing many trucks , ride was again amazing . love the mountain passes . Had a small lunch at Oxbow and then a quick blast up the Afriski for some photos . turned around and headed back , riding briskly but not overdoing things , fast were it was safe to do , slow were it was not .
Coming down the switchbacks on the MOTENG PASS , one sharp bend just before the waterfall I was braking to make the turn and the next moment I was lying next to my bike , 180 degree off camber switch back at a craze angle , Knocked my wind out , ego bruized big time I got up and my buddy helped me pick up the bike . Its so steep there that mounting the bike is not easy , had it in gear , got on and rolled down the hill and then started the bike . Was sore but rode it all the way back .
I am still sore today , nothing broken but pride ! Couple scratches on the crash bar and a left hand guard , worst is my brand new jacket was ripped , as well as the knee on my pant , but as the saying goes , safety kit is worn to work in that one case , mine did work . I only have a small graze on my knee. and a bruised bod that will heal in a couple days or week.
Maybe this small spill was a wake up call that we are vulnerable to the smallest patch of sand can catch one out .
My buddy did a walk back to see what made me crash and it was a patch of sand , down hill brakes on , lost the front . Problem is in Lesotho help is far away , next time we will hopefully take it way more easy .
Experience was still amazing and the Lesotho dragons tail is a awesome road to ride , better from Monantsa to Caledons poort as at this stage there is no tourist levy or road toll to pay !

Yorr. Ja, you don't want to hurt yourself so far from anything. Glad you're okay.
Monantsa tarred now? Well I never.
Moteng must be mega on a bike....been over there once only many years ago in my Nissan Sani.

'My' Tail of the Dragon would be Outeniqua Pass. It's quite busy though and time and again traffic descending is held up by a very slow moving truck. Also, in winter months one has to take care as there are wet patches, and two particular corners are perpetually wet as they get NO sun.

Seven Passes ( the tarred bit from George to above Wilderness) is....or that should now read 'was'....more enjoyable in a way. I used to have more fun than I care to admit on my XR....knobblies and all.