Technical

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RIDER SEAT FIX

A little mod to fix the sloppy front seat of the DX - Yes the one that even Ryan of Fort Nine poked fun at
🙈

My OCD got the better of me and on inspection I discovered that essentially the front seat lock sits fractionally too high causing the wobble. The easy quick fix is just to space it down about a mm. All that involves is taking out the rear tank bolt and the 4 retaining bolts on the side of the lock plate. Then slip the plate with lock out rearwards - there is enough room. Loosen the two 10mm nuts that hold the locking mechanism, insert two 6mm washers underneath as spacers (you may need two each side depending on thickness - if too thick the seat will not lock), then reverse the removal procedure. I also stuck two self adhesive rubber bump protectors over the front two contact patches at the front of the seat where it rests on the tank. Problem solved.

452747453_2243886359280824_8137532058857374717_n.jpg452755119_475930885195532_5448102229188350109_n.jpg449494391_862221278678902_8902348689363651376_n.jpg453445038_464221536428246_142948568569977763_n copy.jpg
👍
(y)

Crash bars
Morning all. I'm wanting to fit crash bars to my DDX. Locally available are RockFox and SW Motec. I like the SW Motec as they are minimalistic, but do they offer adequate protection or should I fit RockFox that look a bit more protective? I like the minimalistic look.

The Rockfox ones look much stronger. Both are about the same price.

I think with the Motech ones you'll need the waterpump protection thingy as well but the Rockfox bars cover the waterpump already.

I have fitted the SW Motech - they are very well made and pretty easy to fit (an extra pair of hands would have helped but were unavailable at the time 🫣) and am very happy with them. I have not tested them in anger (and hope not to) but was angry when I found the bike sleeping on its side on the lawn shortly after fitting ... the sidestand had sunk in 🙄 - no damage or tweaking while twerking 🤭. I like the fact that they are not too overkill and heavy. I believe the protection is adequate and I plan to fit an AXP bashplate that will give the waterpump good protection. I also have the Evotech rad guard and it works with that too. I have been speaking to Molecule motorsport that make the best poly bashplates and they are looking at one for the DDX but no time frame yet unfortunately (https://www.moleculemoto.com/s/shop). I have used the AXP on my sons 701 (that was mine) and the Molecule on my present 701 and it is superior in that there are no plastic welds and fits more closely, also apparently better poly material. Rockfox stuff is strong and local. Strongest crashbars appear to be the Outback Motortek - a modular system that bolts together (rather fugly but form follows function) and allows parts to be replaced. If I was going to use my DDX, rather than 701, for the more gnarly I would consider them ... but also a little eye watering at R8.5K. excl shipping and VAT etc.
Hepco and Becker are another option well rated. The OEM receive unfavourable reviews, not only for bad vibes and breakages at the joints ... some claim they are designed to be sacrificial ... sounds like my wallet 🫨

Last edited:
Crash bars
Morning all. I'm wanting to fit crash bars to my DDX. Locally available are RockFox and SW Motec. I like the SW Motec as they are minimalistic, but do they offer adequate protection or should I fit RockFox that look a bit more protective? I like the minimalistic look.
Share some pics braaaaa

Crash bars
Ordered a set of SW Motech. Will have them early next week

Crash bars
Morning all. I'm wanting to fit crash bars to my DDX. Locally available are RockFox and SW Motec. I like the SW Motec as they are minimalistic, but do they offer adequate protection or should I fit RockFox that look a bit more protective? I like the minimalist
Hopefully my bike arrives tomorrow 😁
@BiG DoM --- any pics of your steed with those SW bars on?

Just fitted the Evotech GPS mount for my Garmin XT. Great piece of kit, excellent design and quality and unobtrusive unlike some of the cross bar versions. It is perfectly in sight of vision and does not obscure riding vision, and is solid with no vibration at all. It bolts to the back of the TFT and is a seamless easy fit. I can highly recommend. Ordered directly from them. I also have their radiator protection guard that came with the bike and likewise top drawer farkle.

457100498_519319967496339_7388867918565511988_n.jpg

Last edited:
I am finding the steering damper a mere cosmetic addition - has very little if any resistance and no adjustment. I believe the Ohlins fitted to the Rally has a bit more adjustment but still limited. I am seriously considering parking it and fitting an underbar Scotts or MSC.

Just fitted the Evotech GPS mount for my Garmin XT. Great piece of kit, excellent design and quality and unobtrusive unlike some of the cross bar versions. It is perfectly in sight of vision and does not obscure riding vision, and is solid with no vibration at all. It bolts to the back of the TFT and is a seamless easy fit. I can highly recommend. Ordered directly from them. I also have their radiator protection guard that came with the bike and likewise top drawer farkle.

View attachment 913695
Have the same Evotech one but with a SP-Connect adapter for the phone. I agree.

I am finding the steering damper a mere cosmetic addition - has very little if any resistance and no adjustment. I believe the Ohlins fitted to the Rally has a bit more adjustment but still limited. I am seriously considering parking it and fitting an underbar Scotts or MSC.
Found a damper from a Diavel off FB marketplace a while ago. Its adjustable and almost fits the standard mount. Just need to shorten the rod a bit. Haven't done it yet.

But you are right, the standard damper is weak. Take if off and try and move it by hand. Almost no dampening at all.

Found a damper from a Diavel off FB marketplace a while ago. Its adjustable and almost fits the standard mount. Just need to shorten the rod a bit. Haven't done it yet.

But you are right, the standard damper is weak. Take if off and try and move it by hand. Almost no dampening at all.
Ja, really pathetic. I have seen a few other replacements but also not that fond of the road bike cylinder damper sitting in that position. The Scotts and MSC/Ralle Moto are also available in offroad versions that have adjustable return damping that helps with deflection. A damper only has to save your arse once and has paid for itself inho. They are great not just in the rocks and roots but also in sand and mud and even side winds. (y)

Just remember the dampers damping depends on speed of movement. If you are moving it slowly by hand, there won't be much resistance = same as moving your handlebars side-to-side when standing still. If you lifted the wheel any ruk the bars quickly, it should damp / slow the movement.

Just remember the dampers damping depends on speed of movement. If you are moving it slowly by hand, there won't be much resistance = same as moving your handlebars side-to-side when standing still. If you lifted the wheel any ruk the bars quickly, it should damp / slow the movement.
Even when moving it fast it feel quite weak but yes there is some resistance.

Yip. This damper though really is virtually a non-event. I have had the bike up on a lift and and checked turning it fast and slow, etc. Really I cannot discern any effective resistance. Having owned and serviced at least half a dozen different dampers in the past - Ohlins, Scotts, GPR and Ralle Moto/MSC - I can honestly attest to this one being shite. I must say I was surprised and disappointed. Many owner forums generally agree.